Author Topic: Dog with ALL THE ALLERGIES  (Read 2720 times)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Dog with ALL THE ALLERGIES
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »
Avery has had allergic reactions to grain (vomitting and diarrhea at 6 months old as well as skin irritation, leading us to lots of tests to make sure it was nothing serious, went through tons of food changes and found that Taste of the Wild in fish formula works well for her since it's grain free.), insect stings (Leading to rushing her to the vet for shots while she swelled up with hives, we now give benedryl before going outside and prednisone is she breaks into hives), vaccinations (An insanely quick and violent anaphylactic reaction to her rabies vaccine sent us rushing to the vet, she now has to get steroid and benedryl shots before vaccines). And she also has crazy reactions to the outdoors. Like all of it. Grass, pollen, sunshine. She breaks into hives and gets raised bumps on her belly that flake and scab.

This summer has been particularly bad, because we're humid, sticky, and it's been HOT since early spring. When she's outside, she likes to lay in the sun. We try to find a happy medium between too much outdoor time and not enough outdoor time. We got her a pool to keep her cool and out of the grass as much. She loves her pool an insane amount and plays in it nonstop when she's outdoors, so that's worked. But she's begun to get the little raised bumps on her back now. They're flakey and do not go away like hives. She had the same thing when she was on dog food with grain.

She doesn't have this problem in the winter, when it's cold and everything is dead. The belly bumps go away and all is well. It's only during the summer when environmental allergies are a problem.

We've been making sure not to exacerbate it by giving her treats with grain, she gets gentle medicated oatmeal baths a couple times a week cause she's a dirty dog anyway (Very rough and tumblr, dirt digging dog who likes to roll in gross things), she gets a half a benedryl tablet every morning (Half a 25mg tablet, she's 15lbs. I know she could have a little more but we have to use pills because she acts like she's dying if we use liquid.) before going outside and we try to let her out early when it's not too muggy and late when it's cooled off to avoid the worst of the humidity and grossness that seems to affect her.

I'm going to get environmental allergy testing done in a couple months (When we go in for wellness checks and rabies vacc update), I just have to save up a little. Because in the last 6 months alone, we've been into the vet for an ear problem, vaccines, a problem with her butt (She had surgery to remove a mast cell tumour in November) to make sure we didn't have recurring bumps, and a few vet visits for the bunny. So we're feeling a bit of a crunch with vet funds. But we already know she has environmental allergies, it'd just be nice to know exactly which things trigger her except EVERYTHING.

But I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the same thing and has suggestions about helping ease the rash? She licks her belly sometimes, but doesn't seem anymore itchy than usual. I think it bothers me more than her because she's dealt with the allergies her entire life. It just looks bad to me and I'm a worried dog mom.

Are there any allergy medications I might ask my vet about next time we're in aside from benedryl?

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
Re: Dog with ALL THE ALLERGIES
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
Talk to your vet, that is always the best place to start.  No dogs here, but I used to work for my current vet and we always had more allergy related stuff flare in the summer with a few of the dog clients.  Diphenhydramine (benedryl) to my knowledge is the usual allergy meds for dogs, but you might ask them if there is something (like that or similiar) that you can keep her on all summer while stuff is blooming and such.  I also know of another friend who had a dog who had some hot spot issues and they were considering as per their vet to keep her on pred long term, luckily it cleared up and they only have to resort to the pred when stuff initially starts to bloom.

Not sure if your vet does any holisitc practice or any vets in your area do, but you might look into that as my vet is a DVM but also practices holisitic veterinary and has the option of herbs on that side of things.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline jeannerat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Hi!
    • Paintings by Valerie Jeanne
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »
Avery has had allergic reactions to grain (vomitting and diarrhea at 6 months old as well as skin irritation, leading us to lots of tests to make sure it was nothing serious, went through tons of food changes and found that Taste of the Wild in fish formula works well for her since it's grain free.), insect stings (Leading to rushing her to the vet for shots while she swelled up with hives, we now give benedryl before going outside and prednisone is she breaks into hives), vaccinations (An insanely quick and violent anaphylactic reaction to her rabies vaccine sent us rushing to the vet, she now has to get steroid and benedryl shots before vaccines). And she also has crazy reactions to the outdoors. Like all of it. Grass, pollen, sunshine. She breaks into hives and gets raised bumps on her belly that flake and scab.

This summer has been particularly bad, because we're humid, sticky, and it's been HOT since early spring. When she's outside, she likes to lay in the sun. We try to find a happy medium between too much outdoor time and not enough outdoor time. We got her a pool to keep her cool and out of the grass as much. She loves her pool an insane amount and plays in it nonstop when she's outdoors, so that's worked. But she's begun to get the little raised bumps on her back now. They're flakey and do not go away like hives. She had the same thing when she was on dog food with grain.

She doesn't have this problem in the winter, when it's cold and everything is dead. The belly bumps go away and all is well. It's only during the summer when environmental allergies are a problem.

We've been making sure not to exacerbate it by giving her treats with grain, she gets gentle medicated oatmeal baths a couple times a week cause she's a dirty dog anyway (Very rough and tumblr, dirt digging dog who likes to roll in gross things), she gets a half a benedryl tablet every morning (Half a 25mg tablet, she's 15lbs. I know she could have a little more but we have to use pills because she acts like she's dying if we use liquid.) before going outside and we try to let her out early when it's not too muggy and late when it's cooled off to avoid the worst of the humidity and grossness that seems to affect her.

I'm going to get environmental allergy testing done in a couple months (When we go in for wellness checks and rabies vacc update), I just have to save up a little. Because in the last 6 months alone, we've been into the vet for an ear problem, vaccines, a problem with her butt (She had surgery to remove a mast cell tumour in November) to make sure we didn't have recurring bumps, and a few vet visits for the bunny. So we're feeling a bit of a crunch with vet funds. But we already know she has environmental allergies, it'd just be nice to know exactly which things trigger her except EVERYTHING.

But I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the same thing and has suggestions about helping ease the rash? She licks her belly sometimes, but doesn't seem anymore itchy than usual. I think it bothers me more than her because she's dealt with the allergies her entire life. It just looks bad to me and I'm a worried dog mom.

Are there any allergy medications I might ask my vet about next time we're in aside from benedryl?

RattieSix, do you have a pug dog by any chance?  Our pug dog is going crazy with hives and extreme itching lately.  First it started immediately after she went to the vet to get her yearly lepto shot and check-up.  When she got home the hives rose up under her fur and they keep coming back in various places since then.  It's been at least 3 weeks and we've given her baths and Benedryl galore!  It's driving us crazy.  I wish I knew what we could do for her.  I'm really strapped for cash now and I hate to take her back to the vet.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that allergies can compound each other.  My friend's dog got horrible itchy bumps (which she chewed into bloody sores) on her feet from walking on grass, and her whole belly would break out if she lay down on it.  My friend and her vet figured it was a grass allergy and prescribed sidewalk-only walks (they tried booties, but she wouldn't tolerate them and refused to walk at all).  That cleared things up, but it's hard to keep a dog from ever stepping foot on grass.  Anyway, it turned out that their house had a mold issue - the dog was seemingly fine indoors, so they didn't think the two were related.  But once the mold got cleared up, grass never bothered her again and she's back to walking like a normal dog.

So, I wonder if there's still something in her food or environment that is making her photosensitive, or just more reactive to outdoor allergens.  It's a lot easier to control the indoor environment, and especially dietary triggers, than it is to keep a dog away from nature.  I don't have a concrete suggestion as to what the trigger might be, but it's worth asking your vet to test for indoor as well as outdoor allergens even though the symptoms show up when she's out.

Also, I'm sure you're on vet's advice with the Benadryl dosing, but I worry about using it every day and whether she'll build up a tolerance that will make it less effective in a case of anaphylaxis.  My dog had a bee allergy, but never learned not to try to eat the things, so he got Benadryl a few times a year.  My vet was adamant about using it only in emergencies (which stings were - his face would swell to the point that his airways closed up) and not as an every day med.

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »
Can you post pics of your dogs skin issue? Just curious if this could my my girls problem.
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline wishbone

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 03:47:49 AM »
You may also ask your vet for food with oil in it to help on dry skin. We add small amount of coconut oil here on Rigor's meals which helps on his health and shinier coat.
My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline Meatball

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:59:23 PM »
Sounds like you need to go back to the vet. There are other types of medications you can try. If the allergies are severe enough, sometimes the vet might put them on a steroid such as Prednisone. You can also try seeing an allergist, but they can be really expensive. Have you tried doing a food trial? (It's when you put the animal on one protein for 4-6 months and then add one other food ingrediant at a time to see which one they are allergic to. But if they get one cheerio, or any bite or lick of food you have to start the 4-6 months over again. It's a great way to figure out what food they are allergic to, but is really hard to stick to, especially if you have kids around. It has to be a protein that they have never had. Like duck, salmon, or kangaroo or something like that. They are usually prescription diets you get at the vet.) You can try allergy testing, like they do to people. Once an allergy is known, you can get allergy shots made (just like people) and try that. It is expensive and sometimes doesn't work. If you are really strapped for $, I would get a vet appointment and ask for prednisone. It starts off at a high dose and tapers lower. If it helps, you might want to keep him on the lowest dose possible to keep the symptoms away. Pred is pretty cheap and may be able to get your dog some relief. Good luck, I have seen some really bad skin! One other idea, is your dog on a flea preventative? A lot of times it could be flea allergy dermatitis that causes bad skin. Even one bite might be enough to set the skin off. Use a product that the vet prescribes because some of the over the counter ones can cause neurological problems such as seizures. Frontline, Advantix and Revolution are safe ones. Just some of thoughts....