Author Topic: How much Benadryl?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
How much Benadryl?
« on: July 03, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
I remember seeing on here a while back that when a kitty gets nervous (thunder, car ride, etc.) to give them some Benadryl.  It is supposed to calm them down.  We are having LOTS of thunder storms lately, plus Abby has a vet visit next week, so I want to try her with some Benadryl.  I have some type of calming spray, but it isn't working with Abby.  So if Abby weighs 8 lbs, how much Benadryl would I give her?  I am clueless!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: How much Benadryl?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »
Generally, it's 1mg per pound of body weight, same as with dogs.  The hard part is getting it down to 8mg.  That being said, 12.5 (half a pill, generally) won't hurt her.  If you just want the calming effect, you can try a quarter pill, if you can get it that small, and see how that works.  Also, make sure to wrap it in something, as it's very bitter, and most cats start spontaneously drooling as soon as it hits their tongue.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »
Oh, I was thinking liquid! Like for children.  Would liquid Benadryl work?  That is what I asked my son to pick up!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »
You can certainly try!  Most of them are fruit flavored, but she just might like it.   :yelcutelaugh:

ETA: You also want to carefully check the 'extra' ingredients.  There are sugar substitutes they like to use in the Children's formulas that can be deadly for cats.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »
You can certainly try!  Most of them are fruit flavored, but she just might like it.   :yelcutelaugh:

ETA: You also want to carefully check the 'extra' ingredients.  There are sugar substitutes they like to use in the Children's formulas that can be deadly for cats.

My son picked up dye-free bubblegum flavored.  I put 2 drops on her paw for her to lick off.  I guess it is still bitter, as she was slinging foamy drool all over the kitchen.  YUCK!   :confused:  I can deal with the foamy stuff though, but I guess she just doesn't like the flavor.  And I can't mix it into anything for her to eat or drink, as she won't eat anything that I've tried to spike, and won't touch people food so no raw chicken, eggs or anything like that.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »
Yeah, that's why pills are slightly easier, usually.  You can force those, which you can't do with liquids... 

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »
Well, nuts!  Guess it is a good thing Ashlyn lives here too!  I'll have to get some pills then, and cut them up for Abby.  Wish me luck!  She has plenty of sharp points...  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
I find it easiest to do by holding them between my knees.  Kneel on the floor, back the cat in between your knees.  This contains most of the pointy bits.  ;)  With one hand, use your thumb and forefinger to pry open the back of the mouth.  Use the other hand to put the pill as far back on the tongue as possible, then hold the muzzle closed and rub the throat until she swallows (you'll see her tongue peek out when she does), and then hold it for a few seconds more, to be sure.  ;)  Good luck!

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 05:20:33 PM »
Thank you, Marybelle!  I love all the help and suggestions you have given me.  Poor Abby, when she hears thunder she heads to my pantry or one of the kitchen cabinets.  She has chosen them as her 'safe place'.  I'm trying to get her to use her round carpet-covered hide for those times.  If I can get Benadryl into her during storms and vet trips, that will help SO much!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
Good luck!  I hope it helps!

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
I tried one of those purple herbal calming pheromone collars on my anxiety-addled calico and it helped her issues tremendously.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »
I tried one of those purple herbal calming pheromone collars on my anxiety-addled calico and it helped her issues tremendously.

Abby won't wear a collar.  It stresses her out!  I wonder how stressed she would be about the collar if I got her one of those?  But I'm willing to try ANYthing.  Where would I get  one of the stress collars?

Abby had her appointment on Thursday and was so stressed on the drive there, at the vet's office she even hissed at ME.  She has been having issues with stress during all the thunderstorms here that I have noticed some bloody-looking mucus in her poops, and took a stool sample to the vet.  The vet told me they have seen lots of animals with the same issue, but gave me some antibiotics AND probiotics to give her in her food.  Now Abby isn't eating.  I mix it in her wet food, and I guess either it has a smell to it, or she can taste it.  And since the vet is now closed for the weekend, I will be calling them again on Monday to see if there is anything else I can do for her.

I've had cats before, but Abby is the first one I've had with this much stress!!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 09:29:10 PM »
You can try rescue remedy i have no experience with it so I cant offer an opinion.

I have used homeopet anti anxiety with good results. It doesnt have much of a taste and can usually be mixed in food. I wanted to make sure the cat that needed it got all of it so I molded a pill pocket into a cup shape and dropped 5 drops into it and gave it to her that way. She was on it daily for months with no issues so I would have to say its safe. http://www.homeopet.com/feline-anxiety-relief

I have only given benadryl to a cat once. It was a larger cat and I used the hard tablets and broke it into pieces and shoved the small piece down his throat. it tastes horrible so expect some foaming and spitting.  :P