Author Topic: How to get rid of ferret and rat smell?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

How to get rid of ferret and rat smell?
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
I'm posting this in the ferret section since I know most of you guys have rats also.

So, I thought I was doing good on keeping the animal smell to a minimum. Everyday, I clean the ferrets' litterbox and once a week I wash their blankets and also clean out the rats' cage. I use vinegar to clean anything in my room (in hopes it would control the smell somehwhat) and through my nose, it doesn't smell bad. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it? Because yesterday, my little brother came in the room and said it stank. Ughhh.... Not that I care too much about what he thinks, but I just hate having anybody in my room in fear that they'll think it smells bad. For instance, my stuck up aunt who whispered behind my back,"is it always like this?" talking to someone else about the smell from my animals. I just don't get it. I clean and clean and clean and still there is a smell.

Can somebody please help me out with ways I could get rid of their smell? I thought of maybe getting an air purifier (do those really work?) and maybe making my lavender plant into a homeade air freshener once it's ready. Though is there anything else I can do to help control or mask the smell?
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: How to get rid of ferret and rat smell?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
High quality food helps reduce smells

Many of us use air purifiers in the room with our small animals.

How often do you deep clean the whole cages?   The base and bars etc can hold smell too.   With rats they also mark more on a totally clean cage so it can help to leave one dirty hammock and change it half way through the week or so.   So if you change all the fabric bedding out on Sunday maybe just save one hammock that gets changed every Wednesday or so.

Lavender oil is actually used as rodent repellant so I wouldn't use lavender around them.

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Re: How to get rid of ferret and rat smell?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »
I just started feeding them Simply Nourish Grain Free, though I'm still weaning them onto it from their previous food (which was not so good) so I guess maybe that has something to do with it.

My rats eat Oxbow so no problem with that.

Personally, I don't smell anything. I guess I'm just used to the smell. And the occasional time that I do catch a whiff, I can never tell whether it's coming from the rats or the ferrets. Most likely the rats, because they're males and love to mark. So, to help with that, I'll remember to leave in an old hammock for the rats cage whenever I clean. I wish I'd thought of that sooner, because that's a great idea.

And really? They use lavender to repel rodents? That really,really sucks. ugh. I was getting so excited about making my plant into an air freshener. Oh well.

Though, I think I'll try and invest into an air purifier sometime. Thanks.
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets