Author Topic: Constant throwing up  (Read 2329 times)

Offline ratlady1990

Constant throwing up
« on: July 06, 2013, 12:13:44 AM »
How do you relieve constant throwing up?
The two cats are on dry food, but we've tried everything...literally.
We've tried raw, soft, dry, many many different brands.  All of which they have thrown up on.
This has been something they have done more often lately.  They had always thrown up once in a while before but since moving (6 years ago) they seem to have done it more. 
We had an issue with our girl not eating the majority of the brands we tried.  Finally we have a brand that she eats and has gained weight on but she throws it up like every other food.
What can we do to stop this?
Anything or do we have to just live with it? :(  They are 12 and 15 years old.  The older one is longhair so she mostly just throws up hairballs and not her food like the younger girl.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Constant throwing up
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:38:59 AM »
Throwing up can be a result of several medical conditions. Have you taken them to your vet within the last few months? They are at the age where things start to fail. My old man gets blood work and urine work every 3 months and he is only 13 and has health problems.

What foods have you fed, and are feeding now? There have been recalls recently on a few brands. Some cats cant be free fed because they eat too much so make sure they arent eating too much food at once. I dont leave food out all day. 

As far as throwing up. I have 8 cats and there is a pile of barf daily from someone. I look it over, often its just hair but sometimes its all food or just liquid. Its not the same cat every day. Some foods set them off and my kitties with funnel chest it has more to do with the pressure in their chest from their sternum when they eat too much at once.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »
have they been dewormed recently?

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:25:38 AM »
Here's an interesting article about cat vomiting:
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/11/09/vomitting-pet-cat-health.aspx

I have  a cat who would eat too fast and would immediately regurgitate the undigested food. That's not technically throwing up because the food came back up without effort and in exactly the same condition as she swallowed it (the dry food comes back up whole, she doesn't chew it LOL)

I've also had cats who had IBD which is a really hard disease to treat. You want to stay away from any food with wheat gluten, fish or brewers rice,  stay wiht a single protein source and very few ingredients, this seems to help. There's more info online if you google IBD. There's a bunch of things you can try but it's a frustrating disease and relapses are common.

I have a cat now who has had problems with vomiting and the vet wasn't sure if it is IBD or maybe pancreatitis. She got so bad she stopped eating, lost weight and looked really awful. At that point the vet was leaning towards IBD with resulting intestinal cancer (long standing IBD often leads to intestinal cancer, sadly) but she got better and put some weight back on.
Now we are thinking maybe it was pancreatitis.
The only way to know for sure is expensive tests and/or a biopsy of the intestines, and we're not going to put her thru that. Esp since it really doesn't change the treatment much.

she'll get the Forti flora, we'll try to avoid stress as much as possible (that def effects her) and I now feed her frequent small meals and give her small amounts any time she "asks" for it.
She's not in any danger of being overweight, thankfully.She gets one single brand/flavor of canned cat food, classic Fancy Feast pate chicken (which does have fish which she shouldn't have, but its the one food she is able to keep down most often. Oddly it was the same wiht my last IBD cat, who was severely ill and got cancer- she was on prednisone daily and pepcid ac etc-anyway,  she, too, could eat the FF chicken pate but everything else made her sick)

Because she is a dry food junkie she also gets Beyond Grain chicken dry food, but I really think canned food is better for most cats. She's almost 15 and with the digestive issues, she pretty much gets whatever she'll keep down. :P

I'd get your kitties checked out by the vet if you haven't done so in the last 6 mos and get blood work on them both.
I start senior blood work on my cats as soon as they turn 10 and add the thyroid test around 12, if it's not included in the reg work up.

good luck!

Offline ratlady1990

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies,
They get yearly check ups and are on Hills Senior food currently.

We have tried raw diet, wet food only, dry kibble and softened kibble.
The one girl regurgitates it whole a lot of the time and you can see the kibble shapes.
The raw was working well but then she started throwing up that too.  She seems to swallow food whole, except for feeder mice which she never threw up.
The vet said to try changing the food, and recommended the Hills food.

They are free fed now so that may be adding to her issue too.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 07:24:49 PM »
Just because you take them yearly doesnt mean they wont have problems in between. My 13yo old man can go to the vet and two weeks later have a new problem.

My friend reminded me of when her cat ate a plastic army man and was vomiting when eating. The cat died because she didnt take it to the vet soon enough.

Vets usually recommend hills or royal canin. Its not because its a better food, its not a good food because it has corn. They either went to their "dietary" school or its the prescription food they carry.

Corn is one ingredient that cats and dogs are often allergic to and I can guarantee the hills food has plenty. That may be causing the vomiting.  I was looking at foods available at petsmart and petco and liked the ingredient list of natures recipe in the purple bag. I normally feed a food that has to be ordered and am getting tired of not being able to go out and buy a bag if I forget. Im not a big fan of the salmon meal but at least it doesnt have a lot of sugary fruits and vegetables added. Its made by Heinz a people food company.

Their canned food is spots stew without fish in the ingredients. It does have chunks of peas and carrots and is the only cat food I have ever considered sampling. lol

The one thing I have noticed is less vomiting on the Natures recipe. Unfortunately, I do have a recycler cat in the house that eats any barf that has whole food in it, so sometimes its cleaned up before I find out about it. lol

I wouldnt feed a senior diet. Usually they are higher in carbs and low in protein.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
I know this is a ferret chart but this lists a lot of popular cat food brands with protein percentage and their top 5 ingredients : click here. That might help you find a better food than Hill's.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:00:03 PM »
She seems to swallow food whole, except for feeder mice which she never threw up.

If she never had a problem with feeder mice could you try switching her over to a whole prey diet? You'd have to vary it with mice, pinkies (mice or rats), young quail, chicks (chicken, quail, ducks, etc), and maybe even fish if she'll take it consistently. It might be a bit pricey depending on your sources, but it'd be worth it for the health benefits.

Edit: Rodentpro.com often has deals going on and an average meal is about a half pound of whole prey in the morning and a half pound at night, give or take. If you'd like to calculate your costs.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:05:17 PM by HowlsOfAngels »
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »
I have this same issue with one of my kitties. The vet can't figure out exactly what is wrong and blood work comes back within normal ranges every time (which reminds me, she's due for a wellness/blood draw. Must call vet the next pay check). The vet suggests to switch foods every few months (we swap between TOTW (the one that's not fish based) and Wellness core) With an occasional cheap bag of purina when I am a dumb nut and forget to pick up cat food at the feed store.  We switch whenever it seems she is throwing up more. Usually she throws up liquid or a mash of food and occasionally whole food chunks. We notice it gets worse when she's stressed out or being tormented/singled out by the other cats).  We do a slow switch 90% of the time (again, only time we just switch food over is when I forget and she gets the cheap food.) I would love to do a raw diet but with three cats, a dog, and a 6 month old it wouldn't work out well.

Food/grains/allergens are a huge factor so I would watch out for that and look for a grain free, high quality food. Taste of the Wild is a pretty decent food and it doesn't hit the pocket as hard as some of the others.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16:28 PM »
I have this same issue with one of my kitties. The vet can't figure out exactly what is wrong and blood work comes back within normal ranges every time (which reminds me, she's due for a wellness/blood draw. Must call vet the next pay check). The vet suggests to switch foods every few months (we swap between TOTW (the one that's not fish based) and Wellness core) With an occasional cheap bag of purina when I am a dumb nut and forget to pick up cat food at the feed store.  We switch whenever it seems she is throwing up more. Usually she throws up liquid or a mash of food and occasionally whole food chunks. We notice it gets worse when she's stressed out or being tormented/singled out by the other cats).  We do a slow switch 90% of the time (again, only time we just switch food over is when I forget and she gets the cheap food.) I would love to do a raw diet but with three cats, a dog, and a 6 month old it wouldn't work out well.

Food/grains/allergens are a huge factor so I would watch out for that and look for a grain free, high quality food. Taste of the Wild is a pretty decent food and it doesn't hit the pocket as hard as some of the others.

My poor occasionally tormented girl vomits more than the others. I started feeding her in a quiet place with the door closed and her food spread out on a plate so she cant gulp it. It has helped.

Offline Goddessgood

• Neuratic Aristocat
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »
I wanted to post this here since it's relevant, though I don't want anyone to think that my experience is typical. Doctors have a saying about hearing the sound of hooves and thinking a zebra is causing the sound when really it's more likely to be a horse. Still, sometimes it's a zebra, as it was for my Niko.

I adopted a Siberian kitten from a reputable breeder. Niko was a runt and never got bigger than about 9 lbs (typical for Siberians is 12-15 lbs). He had been a nervous groomer his whole life, so when he coughed up hairballs it wasn't a surprise to me (he almost had to have one surgically removed, but that's a story for another time). When he started bringing up his food, I figured he'd gulped it down and upset his stomach. When he kept doing it, I figured he had a sensitive digestion and switched him to easier to digest wet food that he absolutely refused to eat. He wanted dry food and nothing else would do. He was otherwise healthy, happy, and playful, drank well and ate well, so we just shrugged and carried on. My husband had grown up with a cat that vomited nearly every day and had lived to a ripe old age, so we weren't terribly worried. Sometimes he would vomit and there would be no food or hair, but usually he had vomited earlier in the day and so we attributed it to a sour tummy.

A while later I noticed he was heaving and assumed he was trying to bring up a hairball. It was taking a long time, so I tried to encourage and comfort him, but I eventually realized I was hearing a gurgling sound and rushed him to the vet. My boy had an enlarged heart and fluid buildup around it. He had a congenital heart defect called HCM that is rare and one of the only health problems his breed tends to see. I asked the vet if the chronic vomiting could have damaged his heart, and the vet said no. I've since learned that heart problems can sometimes present with nausea and vomiting. It's possible my little boy had had this problem for quite some time and we never took him in for an x-ray (why would we?) until he was in crisis. We said goodbye to him a month later after a long and bitter fight.

Names: Prue, Piper, & Phoebe

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 04:22:07 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss