Author Topic: Is it possible my ferret has ECE?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Is it possible my ferret has ECE?
« on: July 10, 2013, 06:57:14 PM »
My ferret Marilyn (about a year old) seems fine. She's eating and playing the same as she always does, but her poo has been very funky lately. She's got anywhere from green slime to orange/yellow grainy poo. And it has a bit of an odor, more than usual. It also seems she's having trouble getting it out because she also has a slight prolapsed rectum (I'm guessing?). It's a bit swollen and red, though nothing like the other pictures I've seen. I'm going out to get some hemorroid creme to help soothe it a bit,anyway.

My other ferret, Puck is around 6 or 7 months and his poops seem fine, if not a bit grainy. (though sometimes it's hard to tell whose poo is whom's in the litterbox)

I plan on taking Marilyn to the vet, Friday, though I'm a bit worried because the exotic vet there doesn't really seem like she always knows what she's talking about. So, I'm hoping to find some information on ECE (if that's what it is). If it is ECE, should I expect to go home with some kind of antibiotic? Because I read somewhere, that if they're under 3 years, then usually the ECE will go away when the ferret is put on a bland, easy to digest diet. If not, what kind of anitbiotic do you think they would prescribe her?

Also, what else can I do to help her until Friday? I've already been feeding them soft kibble mixed with a bit of duck soup, though I read somewhere you can feed them pumpkin to help with the diarrhea,too.
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Is it possible my ferret has ECE?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:39:27 AM »
Hmm, I don't know anything about ECE unfortunately.

You give her about a tablespoon of plain pumpkin and see if that helps.

The only thing I can recommend is joining the American Ferret Association on Facebook - they would know more about this than I do.

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Thanks, mutewolf. She actually stopped pooping at all yesterday, so I gave her a tablespoon of canned pumpkin and she finally pooped today. And I plan on taking her to the vet next Friday so she can be seen by the exotic vet, to make sure everything's okay down there.
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
Thanks for the link.

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats