Author Topic: Ferret has grainy green/orange slimey poo  (Read 1828 times)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Ferret has grainy green/orange slimey poo
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
Sorry, I already made a post about this, but no one really answered.

So, for the past week, my ferret Marilyn (a year old) has had grainy slimey green and orange poo. Puck (6/7 months old) has pretty normal poo, brown, but a bit grainy also.

Marilyn also has been having yellow, liquidy diarrhea. She's also got a swollen and red rectum. Today, I haven't noticed her pooping at all. She tried once, backing into a corner, but nothing came out. I'm really worried because we planned on going to the vet tomorrow, but the exotics vet isn't there until next Friday. Though, if Marilyn doesn't poop sometime today, I may take her there along with a copy of this: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=11+2062&aid=533 to help out the non-exotic vet.

I'd really rather see the exotic vet though I'm not sure if she can wait another week. I'm going out to get some canned pumpkin (for her constipation if she doesn't poop by today) and Preperation H (for the swollen rectum). If she starts pooping again by tomorrow, do you think there will still be a need to go tomorrow instead of just waiting until next Friday for the exotic vet?

Also, I'd love some suggestions on what she (and possibly my other ferret) might have. I was thinking ECE maybe? Or could it just simply be because of my ferrets' recent food change? I changed them from their ferret food to Simply Nourish Grain Free, a cat food from Petsmart. I've made sure that I wean them slowly onto the new food and out of the old food, so I really doubt it could be because of the food change. Plus, Marilyn's weird poo didn't start until now that they're almost already onto the new food.

And I have another question: What could be causing the grainy poo? Since I've had them, they've both had grainy poo (just without the weird slime and green/orange colorings). I always thought it was just that I had them on a really crappy food. Though, now that they've almost already switched to the other, better food, they still have the grainy poo.

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Re: Ferret has grainy green/orange slimey poo
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:04:50 PM »
So, obviously no one's going to answer, but I'll just make an update anyway.

I gave Marilyn a tablespoon of canned pumpkin and finally got her to poop today. She seems fine, is eating well and even though her poo is very small, it isn't orange and green slime, so we're waiting until next Friday (unless she stops pooping again) to take her to the vet, so she can be seen by a vet who actually specializes in ferrets.
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets