Author Topic: Skinny Pyr/Lab  (Read 903 times)

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Skinny Pyr/Lab
« on: July 13, 2013, 02:57:55 PM »
My coming two year old Pyr/Lab is thin, her ribs are visible, to the point where she looks like a Greyhound. She is built lean, but this just seems like a bit much to me when her half sisters are keeping weight on fine and one of them eats half as much as she does (and is more active). They've all been wormed recently, but that never seems to help her. She eats 4 cups of TOTW every day, two cups in the morning or afternoon and two cups in the evening;sometimes I add a bit of water to her meals to slow her down and help with digestion, because it's a lot off food to eat at one sitting.

She is very active, one of her favorite games is to run full out, straight toward me and leap up to snatch a stick held at my eye level. She wrestles with her half sisters and me on a daily basis, her teeth and ears are clean, and she is still very opinionated; she's just thin. So, no changes in behavior and no chance of an allergy- her skin is clean and her coat is thick and shiny.

I've tried upping her food, as she was eating three cups a day before, but it just doesn't seem to affect her. I think she may just have a high metabolism... but I'm not positive.

For now I'm going to try alternating the additions of veggie oil and cooked eggs in her meals to see if that will help her put on weight; but are those appropriate mix ins or am I just asking for trouble?
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Skinny Pyr/Lab
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
Why meal feed her if she is underweight and you are feeding kibble?   Can you try free feeding her and see if it helps?

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »
Diver, my 75 lb boxer, went through a phase when he was younger where he just couldn't keep weight on. I could see his ribs, and feel his ribs (not his hip bones or shoulder bones in any way, just the ribs). The vet said he was fine, just hyper active with a fast matabolism and pretty much the perfect weight  and very lean. She also said that give him a year or two and he would fill out. By the time he hit 2.5 years old he had gained weight and had filled out A LOT.  He eats 4 cups of TOTW a day (2 in the AM, 2 in the PM).
I would have a vet take a look at him and check out her weight and build. If the vet is concerned you can go from there.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
Kat, I don't think free feeding is possible for any of my dogs. All of them would gleefully eat until they burst, literally. And I'd not be able to just free feed one, I'd have to free feed all five. I don't think my budget could handle that, nor their stomachs.

Dragonfly, I'm really hoping that it is just a phase and that she'll fill out more later. Everyone will be in for their annuals in a month and I'll have the vet look her over then. She's always been lean and lanky, but the prominence of her ribs showed up a few months ago, it never seems to bother her but the fat covering seems to ebb and flow. If fat covering can do such a thing.

It's hard to see in the pics, because of the lighting and her coat, but she is quite ribby It's easier to feel the difference, I have a larger male Pyr/Anatolian who is older, but has the same build and there is at least an inch of fat covering his ribs that is very easy to feel. On Daisy, all I feel is fur/skin/bone, no fat.

Taken Today

Taken Two Months Ago (You can kind of see her ribs there... ish, darn lighting/cell cam).

Taken Today (She's hip height and I'm only 5'4, so I had to back up and stretch a bit).

At 5 Month Old (She was much rounder then).

Taken 2 Minutes Ago (She let me position her that way so that I could get a good shot of her ribs).

Edit/Note: My dogs are ridiculously floppy...
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy