Author Topic: Took in Dumped Kitten; Diet Questions?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Effie

• Ritten
Took in Dumped Kitten; Diet Questions?
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:55:40 PM »
Hello everybody! I have a few questions about cat food... but first some background. :)

A few weeks ago a kitten ran up to me in the garden, meowing like mad! So of course I brought her in, gave her a flea bath to kill the buggies she had, and dosed her with some revolution a few days later when I got it (unfortunately cats being dumped is VERY common here :/). She is now happily roaming the house with our foster cats since she's been spayed, microchipped, tested negative for feline leukemia and had her vaccinations! Well, my mom's foster cats... I help out with them, and volunteer at adoption events but they're in her name. Since Effie is officially MY kitten, I have been trying to research the best foods to feed her. Unfortunately I forgot how confusing it is to start researching an animal diet from scratch (I can tell you so much about rat diets, nothing about cats lol), and I need someone to give me a basic myth/fact list, and help me figure out how to pick healthy kitten foods for her.

Right now, the dry food that my mom is feeding is Science Diet adult cat food (provided by the foster organization), and we mix it half and half with Purina kitten chow because we can't feed the cats separately from the kittens, and if we use separate bowls then Marble will eat only kitten food and he gets EXTREMELY overweight that way. lol. So, this is what Effie has been eating as well, and every evening I give her about 1/3 of a can of wet kitten food (whatever brands I can find, nothing really fixed yet since I'm still looking around and trying things out to see what she likes).

SO! Mostly my questions are this...
1- Is Science Diet a good cat food?
2- What's a healthy kitten food that is reasonably priced, as we are currently fostering about 5 cats, my mom has 4, and I have Effie. :P
3- How can I tell good dry food from bad dry food? (I know I should look out for corn, it's the same with rat food)
4- Will feeding only wet food actually rot a cat's teeth? O_o
5- What's the deal with this raw diet I keep seeing people mention?
6- I've seen some people mention dry cat food being bad, why is this?
7- Any other information you feel is helpful. :3

Also here are some adorable pictures of her for you. <3

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Took in Dumped Kitten; Diet Questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 12:00:10 AM »
SO! Mostly my questions are this...
1- Is Science Diet a good cat food?
It's a pretty low quality food, the only reason why a lot of vets recommend it is because they are given samples by the company etc. 

2- What's a healthy kitten food that is reasonably priced, as we are currently fostering about 5 cats, my mom has 4, and I have Effie. :P
This is a chart for rating ferret foods, but includes cat foods also and could be a place to start.   http://moredooks.herobo.com/search.php?chart=ferret

3- How can I tell good dry food from bad dry food? (I know I should look out for corn, it's the same with rat food)
You're looking for less fillers and more real meat products at the top of the list.   The link above explains this too.

4- Will feeding only wet food actually rot a cat's teeth? O_o
Dry food does nothing to help a cat's teeth, most the time they swallow it solid.   The wet is good since it helps their water intake.   

5- What's the deal with this raw diet I keep seeing people mention?
That can take some research, there are premade raw diets you can buy as well as whole prey, or using raw only as treats.   

6- I've seen some people mention dry cat food being bad, why is this?
Cat's don't drink enough water, they often swallow dry food whole (and sometimes also puke it back BLAH) 
7- Any other information you feel is helpful. :3

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
My Abby drinks more water now, since I got her a fountain.  And now she drinks out of the bathroom sink, too, but only on Neal's side.  My side always smells of something, like toothpaste, mouthwash, stuff like that.   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Effie

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:12:07 PM »
My Abby drinks more water now, since I got her a fountain.  And now she drinks out of the bathroom sink, too, but only on Neal's side.  My side always smells of something, like toothpaste, mouthwash, stuff like that.   :yelcutelaugh:

Yeah we have a fountain thing for the cats and they love it! I can't put one in my room for her (she sleeps in my room), because my rats would chew the cord during the day when they're out, so she only has access to it during the day but she doesn't mind drinking out of a dish when she's in my room. XD

Also that site with rankings for the cat food was great, I ordered her a 24 pack of EVO canned kitten food and picked up a little bag of CORE Wellness while I was at PetSmart today. We're still trying to find an alternative to science diet for the rest of the household though--we did pick up a bunch of wet food for them to start converting their diet over to have more wet food in it (also science diet because they had a really good sale lol) though.

Offline Raa

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:40:55 PM »
I agree, Science diet it pretty average. Its not total crap but there are better options. Look at the ingredients lis, meat should be the first ingredient or first few, avoid foods where rice, corn or wheat are high on the list.

A diet of only wet food will contribute to bad teeth. She should get biscuits and things like chicken necks to keep her teetg nice.

Offline trueblue

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »

A diet of only wet food will contribute to bad teeth. She should get biscuits and things like chicken necks to keep her teetg nice.

This is not true. The primary causes of poor teeth in cats are genetics and viral factors. Two of my cats have been eating exclusively canned and raw since they were 5 - 6 months old and they are now 4 and 5 years and have beautiful teeth. They get some raw bones as well but not on any kind of consistent basis. I'm not sure if "biscuits" means kibble, but if so it will do nothing to help with oral health.

For the OP, check out http://www.catinfo.org  for excellent cat food info. If possible you should be feeding your cats measured portions on a 2 - 3 meals a day basis. That way each cat gets the correct amount of the correct food.

Offline jaromo99

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 11:25:51 PM »
First off I want to say, that kitten is adorable. We fostered one like her.

I think a lot of these answers are pretty good. However, wet food will not rot her teeth. Just make sure you get a good brand. Watch out for corn, and make sure it doesn't have "fake meats"
Mommy to:

Ginny, Rosie, Hermione, Zoey, Pinky, Clom, Raxie, Ian, Mori, Fred, George,Pumpkin, Christmas Tangerine, and River Song