Author Topic: Skin blackening  (Read 1307 times)

Offline jeannerat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Hi!
    • Paintings by Valerie Jeanne
Skin blackening
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:35:45 PM »
My mother's pug dog has skin on her belly, mostly near the leg areas, that has become blackish.  I cannot remove it with soap and water or hydrogen peroxide.  It wasn't always there or I wouldn't be concerned about it.  What's causing this and is it treatable?

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Skin blackening
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 01:18:30 AM »
Does she have any allergies? Our previous lab had horrendous environmental and food allergies and his skin was very black on his underside. Apparently it is a very common symptom of allergies, especially seasonal ones.  It could also be a fungal infection of some sort, especially if it's in the warm places like under the legs. Either way I would get a vet to check it out, drastic changes need an expert's opinion.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »
+1 On the allergies.

I have a now seven year old mutt that has blackened skin on her belly from an allergic reaction to a horrendous flea infestation when she was a three year old. It's unusual, but it doesn't bother her.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline dogsnbears

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »
we also have a dog who gets this with her seasonal allergies

Offline jeannerat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Hi!
    • Paintings by Valerie Jeanne
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
I took our dog, a pug, to the vet's last Saturday.  The doctor said that she simply has skin pigmentation that's happening with age.  Okay, I sure hope that's true!  It doesn't seem to bother her, so I guess I won't have to treat her skin with anything. 

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 11:33:42 PM »
+1 On the allergies.

I have a now seven year old mutt that has blackened skin on her belly from an allergic reaction to a horrendous flea infestation when she was a three year old. It's unusual, but it doesn't bother her.

My 8-year old pup got fleas for the first time this past summer, and unfortunately he's allergic.  He has blackened skin on his belly now, and I wondered if it had to do with the fleas.  Interesting!
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline wishbone

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 03:44:34 AM »
I took our dog, a pug, to the vet's last Saturday.  The doctor said that she simply has skin pigmentation that's happening with age.  Okay, I sure hope that's true!  It doesn't seem to bother her, so I guess I won't have to treat her skin with anything.

Glad your vet explained what is it as it is happening to my aunt's sheltie at age of 9.
My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.