Author Topic: Re introducing after a few months  (Read 1272 times)

Offline TamSmith

• Posts Too Much!
Re introducing after a few months
« on: August 03, 2013, 12:26:13 AM »
Vader and Levi lived at an animal shelter together and only got along with each other. Vader is FIV+ Levi is not but is his 9 years old, they only liked each other and both of them were "unadoptable"

We adopted Vader in May and since then Levi has been living in a cage with only a few hours a week out and he's been miserable without Vader. We decided that we are going to go adopt Levi tomorrow because I haven't stopped thinking about him since I met him when we got Vader.

We have separate rooms to keep them in when we first bring Levi home but I was wondering if anyone has any idea if this will be an easier intro since they were best friends for over a year at the shelter. Any tips for smooth intros?

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Re introducing after a few months
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 12:36:24 AM »
You really should handle it like they have never met. It may go faster but I wouldn't take the chance oh them getting started off wrong. I had some girls go out for a spay and I even had a hard time with one of the other cats deciding one of them was a stranger.

Some cats just never come around after things go wrong.

Offline TamSmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:40:25 AM »
How long should I wait before I let them see each other? I've never done intro's with cats. Rats were so easy because I could take them out of their territory. I'm feeling a little lost with cats even though I've been reading as much as I can on it.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »
You could let them see each other at first and see how they react to each other. You need two people and a good grip on the cats for this. Dont let them go. If one chases the other, it can start a bad situation where they dont get along. You dont want to do this with one in a crate because the one in the crate will feel threatened. If they react badly remove the new cat to another room and work on intros by exchanging scents. After a few days let them see each other again but not be in contact or threaten each other.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 12:05:19 AM »
I've always heard to let first site be with on in carrier - having both loose and able to see eachother could end up with a lot of damage to both cats as well as the people involved.   

Offline TamSmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 02:10:36 AM »
I let them see each other through the door just a crack. They got nose to nose and that's it. Levi, the new guy was purring the whole time. Vader on the other hand was not happy. He's been upset and hissing at us since then. I'm going to give them more time apart and let him calm down and then give him something with his scent. I'm so nervous to eventually let them be in the same room.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 10:07:50 PM »
I've always heard to let first site be with on in carrier - having both loose and able to see eachother could end up with a lot of damage to both cats as well as the people involved.

The problem with on in the carrier is one feels threatened. Both in separate carriers would probably work ok.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »
I let them see each other through the door just a crack. They got nose to nose and that's it. Levi, the new guy was purring the whole time. Vader on the other hand was not happy. He's been upset and hissing at us since then. I'm going to give them more time apart and let him calm down and then give him something with his scent. I'm so nervous to eventually let them be in the same room.

I brush the cats with the same brush, let them sleep on fleece and then switch between the cats and then start exchanging litter after the new cat is confirmed to be using the box properly. I would avoid them seeing each other for a bit.