Author Topic: What Dog breed Should We Get?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Dfwgolden

What Dog breed Should We Get?
« on: August 11, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »
My parents finally gave me the ok after YEARS of pleading to get myself a competition dog. :shocked2:
The dog I get will be competed with in AKC events.
Such as
Agility
Fly ball
Lure Coursing (If Breed Appropriate)
Frisbee
Etc.

I am wanting a breed that will bond well with me, I know any dog can do that but I also know that some breeds are better about it than others.
We currently have two Golden Retrievers and a Chihuahua so the dog needs to be no larger than 85 pounds/38.5 Kilograms. :balloon:

Said dog would be a male I prefer males over females ANY DAY.
I am wanting an athletic breed that is ready to go any time of day but is still able to contain himself in the house.

We are looking only at AKC breeds/breeders. NO shelter dogs, NO rescues. :confused:
Our dogs are fed a high quality Kibble and Raw Diet and seen by our vet regularly whom is a 3 minuet walking distance from our home.

I am only gone 4 hours a day at maximum and someone is ALWAYS home. So he would never be left alone. When we go on vacation we 90% of the times take our dogs with us. If we are unable to we hire our friend to house sit for us, so even then the dogs are never alone.

I am an avid walker/jogger and swimmer so said dog would be getting plenty of exercise on and off leash. We have a LARGE lake and hiking trail about 30 minutes from our house where the dogs are taken 2 times a month.
We also have a 3 acre dog park that is 5 minuet’s walking distance from our home and the dogs go out to run every night as it has been too hot here in Texas to do it any other time.

I am also looking for a dog that will catch the attention of the people around me. I want something that is Unique and will stand out. I am more than willing to Import if that is what it takes. Money is not a problem.

I am a trained dog groomer of all breeds so grooming is not an issue either. The dog needs to be Heat and Cold Tolerant as in Texas the weather can change drastically.
I have some breeds in mind but would like he opinions of other parties as well. This will not be a rush decision I plan to take my time picking out the right dog. :icon_rr:

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
Re: What Dog breed Should We Get?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:33:11 PM »
Border Collies and Australian Shepherds are the first that come to mind for all you want to do. If you want a bit more unusual, an Airedale or Portuguese Water Dog might work as well.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: What Dog breed Should We Get?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »
I don't think that you should look for a specific breed. You have two goldens which are known for their athleticism, but you aren't training them for your desired activities. I'm going to make the assumption that this is because neither are suited mentally or physically for those activities.

I'd really like to encourage you to take a walk through a kill shelter with, if you can find someone willing, an individual that is knowledgeable of canine behavior. A lot of dogs are in there because they are very well suited for athletic activities, but their previous owners couldn't train them or didn't have the time. A lot of dogs are in there because they have a high drive (focus) and a ton of energy, both are traits that you want to look for in a good working dog.

If you're still wanting to go to a breeder then I'd encourage you to contact local, respectable breeders of various breeds and ask them what they believe their dogs are suited for. If they tell you that their dogs are suited for your chosen sports go look at the puppies, watch them and see which ones have a personality that you can work with. If possible ask the breeder for a handful of their kibble and start luring them into different positions to check for learning ability, also, toss a ball and see who has the drive to chase it down and who sits their with a crooked grin. Just play with them for a bit to get a feel for who has the traits you want and who doesn't.

Dogs are individuals and obtaining a certain breed will not guarantee you an athletic, high drive dog suited for competition.

Also, please, if you haven't already, do your research on positive reinforcement training and canine behavior. It'll save you a lot of heart ache.

My first dog was originally trained using negative reinforcement, I hate that I was so ignorant because she is an anxiety ridden mess that is taking a lot of work to settle down and can no longer work in even basic obedience due to the stress it causes her. My younger dogs, on the other hand,are all great. Positive reinforcement makes training pleasant for both of us and they are always delighted to work, no matter what the task at hand.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy