Author Topic: Giardia?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline NullEntropy

Giardia?
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:52:16 PM »
So my cats were having diarrhea and vomiting, and I took them to the vet Yesterday and the vet said it could be Giardia. Since we didn't have a poop sample (they can't poop if they're throwing it all up) she gave us some medicine, a probiotic, and Hill's I/D. Can Giardia be dormant for months? These cats get filtered water and are inside exclusively. Neither my boyfriend nor I have Giardia. I have my doubts that it's Giardia. They're so hungry all the time but we've only bee giving them little bits of food because of the vomiting and so they haven't pooped but once, and it seemed solid. They also haven't vomited at all and they just meow and meow for food. Do any of you have experience with this and suggestions? I'm not a huge fan of some of the ingredients in the I/D, but if it works...

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Giardia?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:29:27 PM »
Get a second opinion. Could be pancreatitis or the food. What food do you feed? Very not likely giardia, could be but be careful. You don't want to miss it if its something else.

Offline NullEntropy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »
Get a second opinion. Could be pancreatitis or the food. What food do you feed? Very not likely giardia, could be but be careful. You don't want to miss it if its something else.
Right now they're getting I/D. Before they they were on TIki Cat Chicken/Chicken & Egg or Innova Evo. How does one diagnose pacreatitis?

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:57:43 PM »
What happened with my cat is he couldnt even keep down baby food. I keep jars of beech nut chicken first foods. Its just chicken and water no onions garlic or salt.

If your vet hasnt given your cats any sort of a blood and urine test up to this point, find another vet. These tests are crutial in determining issues with cats. Its like a crystal ball to their health.

I took him to the vet and she said she thought he had pancreatitis. She confirmed it with a blood test. she kept him overnight and gave him subQ fluids. He hasnt had an issue since. Im not really sure what started it except that he had been on cranberry the vet had given him.

It does happen that two cats have the same issue. I took one cat in for a uti and another was going poo outside the box. I took her in even thought the vet was sure it was behavior. She had a worse uti than the first cat and the odd thing is they were entirely different bacteria so the source was unrelated.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »
Heres a link that looked helpful. Cats vomiting so much they dont have a bowel movement can cause damage to their internal organs. Its very important you dont put this off or it can snowball into more health issues.

Offline NullEntropy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »
I believe the reason she hasn't suggested a blood test is she knows that money is tight, and so she's been giving us an inexpensive remedy in the hopes that it works. They haven't vomited at all in 2 days.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
Money is tight for me as well but I learned the hard way that repeat visits costs more than just getting the tests over with and directly addressing the problem with the correct treatment the first time.

Oddly enough twice doing what the vet wanted to do even when it was expensive uncovered an underlying potentially fatal problem. My old man cat was having bladder issues, I gave in to getting an x-ray to check for stones in the bladder. What it did show was one inch of fluid building up in his chest. He was in congestive heart failure without symptoms. Another time, same cat, a routine blood test showed kidney issues.