Author Topic: Will ear drops get rid of ear mites completely or do I need to get Revolution?  (Read 5521 times)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Not sure where to put this because all of my animals have ear mites, including my rats and ferrets along with my dog. So I'll just put it in the dog section.

So to my question: I read somewhere that ear drops (such as Tresaderm) will not completely get rid of ear mites and that they would just move to a different part of the body. Is this true?

I'd love to be able to get Revolution just to be sure, but I don't think I'll be able to afford Rev. for all of my animals. So do you think I'd be able to get by with the ear drops?

Thanks.
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not
himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

the kids:

Opie the beagle/jack russel
Kurt and Eddie the rats
Marilyn and Puck the ferrets

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
How do you know all of your animals have ear mites? If they've been to the vet to get the diagnosis (which must be done with a microscope...) they should have prescribed a treatment.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

I'm sure they have ear mites but we are taking my dog to the vet next Friday just to make sure. I was going to ask the vet the same question, but I just hoped I could get an opinion from someone who has dealt with this before.
"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
You haven't really described any symptoms, so we have nothing to go off of. Do the animals have scabs in or around their ears? Is there a thick waxy build up in the animals ears? Are they forever scratching at their ears?

If your pets do have ear mites then take plain household vinegar and dilute with water (one cup water, eighth cup vinegar) in a bowl and use cotton balls soaked in the solution to clean all of your pets ears. Then put a few drops of mineral or vegetable oil in their ears and massage, the oil will smother the mites (if there are mites). This will have to be repeated several times over a period of three to four days to be effective. I wish you luck as my own dogs are very dramatic when it comes time to cleaning their ears.

The mites may travel onto the animals scalp, if they do then you can wash the animal in original dawn dish soap. It will also kill fleas and it makes them super soft.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

I'm not asking whether they have ear mites or not. I'm asking whether the ear drops prescribed from the vet would work to get rid of the ear mites. But anyway, yes. They're all scratching at their ears, shaking their heads. And my ferrets' ears stink even though I clean them regularly.

Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical about the veg. oil. I've tried it once on my rats when they had mites and it did zip but make them look like pathetic wet rat greasers.

Though I've never tried it for ear mites, so it may be worth a shot.

How much veg. oil do you think I would use for my ferrets and rats? And will the ear mites be able to move into the carpets or wood floors of my house? Will I need to wash all my sheets and floors?

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
I've not had experience with ear mites living outside of an animals ears, but I do usually wash up everything that an infected animal could have rubbed its head on or cleaned its paws on with hot water and cleaner.

A drop or two in the ears of your smaller animals should do the trick as long as you massage the base of the animals ear to spread the oil deep enough into the ear canal to coat the mites.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Ear mites

From the article - "Do not make the diagnosis of ear mite infection yourself. If you think your pet has an ear infection, see the vet for proper evaluation rather jumping straight to an over-the-counter remedy. You will need the right diagnosis before you can intelligently choose an ear treatment product."

You would not believe the number of cases of "ear mites" I have seen that turn out to be yeast/bacterial infections. And if the infection is bad enough and the ear drums are ruptured, some ear medications/treatments should not be used.
Kati33
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Well, it can't be an infection, because ALL of my animals have the same symptoms. I first noticed my neighbor's dog flapping her ears and scratching at them, then my dog, then my ferrets, and now my rats. But anyway, we'll still be taking him to the vet just to make sure, so no worries.

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
While that makes it much more likely to be ear mites, it doesn't rule out infection. Treating for mites alone could leave a bacterial/yeast infection that would still need treatment. Good luck at the vet.
Kati33

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Thanks for your help.

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline Kibafang90

• Train hard, play hard.
Ear mites can live anywhere on the body. Everything should be cleaned and washed while treating dogs for EM.
Rev AND ear drops should help. REV isn't that expensive really. Don't let your vet rip you off. Try http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ They have decent prices.
Dogs should be tested for HW even if on a preventative year round before being given REV.

Wait posters...do you honestly think ALL of her animals, including her neighbors have ear infections?? o.o :/
- Performance dog!-  Train hard, play hard. ;)

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Ear mites can live anywhere on the body. Everything should be cleaned and washed while treating dogs for EM.
Rev AND ear drops should help. REV isn't that expensive really. Don't let your vet rip you off. Try http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ They have decent prices.
Dogs should be tested for HW even if on a preventative year round before being given REV.

Wait posters...do you honestly think ALL of her animals, including her neighbors have ear infections?? o.o :/

Did you check the date on this? :yelcutelaugh:  Either way, thanks. I just got my dog's revolution and I'm currently waiting for a 3 pack of cat revolution in the mail for my rats and ferrets and once I get it I'll make sure to clean down EVERYTHING (and hopefully this time my neighbor's will get the hint about keeping their dog in their own yard.)

P.S. Thanks so much for that last comment. I was trying to explain to everyone that it was very unlikely that the cause of this itching was because ALL of my animals had ear infections, but nobody would listen. :eek:

P.P.S: Love the name, KibaFang. Does that happen to come from certain anime that I happen to love so much? ;) That's so funny because just yesterday I decided to start watching Wolf's Rain again for the second time. :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:39:03 AM by BlackBirdSeesYou »

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline Kibafang90

• Train hard, play hard.

Did you check the date on this? :yelcutelaugh:  Either way, thanks. I just got my dog's revolution and I'm currently waiting for a 3 pack of cat revolution in the mail for my rats and ferrets and once I get it I'll make sure to clean down EVERYTHING (and hopefully this time my neighbor's will get the hint about keeping their dog in their own yard.)

P.S. Thanks so much for that last comment. I was trying to explain to everyone that it was very unlikely that the cause of this itching was because ALL of my animals had ear infections, but nobody would listen. :eek:

P.P.S: Love the name, KibaFang. Does that happen to come from certain anime that I happen to love so much? ;) That's so funny because just yesterday I decided to start watching Wolf's Rain again for the second time. :D

No i didn't check the date? :/ Sorry i'm new to this place.
I hope everything goes well! Remember to wash all sheets and bedding in hot water.

No, my name is kiba.
My name means fang.. and of course im not going to post my last name on the internet for everybody, so i just put kiba and then fang instead of my last name.
And 90 is for my birth years, i'm born in 1990.
So all together its kiba fang 90. And my name has nothing to do with cartoons. :/

Offline BlackBirdSeesYou

Well, that's so cool, your name is Kiba.

Sorry to offend you, I didn't realize saying that you were named after a "cartoon" would be offensive...? I personally would be loved to be named after this anime, as I call it. It really is a great anime/ "cartoon", you should check it out sometime.

the kids:

Kurt and Eddie the rats

Offline Kibafang90

• Train hard, play hard.
Well, that's so cool, your name is Kiba.

Sorry to offend you, I didn't realize saying that you were named after a "cartoon" would be offensive...? I personally would be loved to be named after this anime, as I call it. It really is a great anime/ "cartoon", you should check it out sometime.

Im not offended. o.o