Author Topic: 13 month old hasn't gone into heat yeat  (Read 8710 times)

Offline Zinodine

• Ritten
13 month old hasn't gone into heat yeat
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:58:55 AM »
My 13 month old cat hasn't gone into heat yet. She's an inside cat and lives with a nutered male cat (also an inside cat) I feed them raw and she checks out just fine at the vet, although I haven't brought up the issue yet (she's due for another check up soon). I'm wondering if this is a usual thing or if it's possible for a cat to go into heat without notice... I've never had a female before, only males so I'm a little knew >.>

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: 13 month old hasn't gone into heat yeat
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
How sure are you that she's not spayed?

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:06:10 AM »
Any cat Ive ever had go into heat would keep everyone up all night with the yowling. They generally go around with their head low on the ground and their butt up in the air and their tail off to the side. Also if you press down on their back at the base of their tail they will yowl and scratch the floor with their back feet.

I wasnt too happy when the HS tattooed one of my boys when he got neutered but it makes sense at least you know they got speutered. Of course its obvious on males anyway which is why I wasnt too happy. Now he has a blue belly. Looks like someone took a marker to him.  ::)

Offline Zinodine

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
How sure are you that she's not spayed?

I got her when she was 7 weeks from a friend of mine. I haven't gotten her spayed...

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »

That does sound odd, but I'm not sure what the problem is.  At over a year old, she's definitely old enough to spay.  Why not get her spayed and solve that problem permanently.  ;)

Offline jaromo99

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:31:10 PM »
We have one, just had her birthday a week ago, and just went into heat for the first time. We used to have a cat that, no matter how much we watched her, never acted like she did, but she got out and got pregnant, so she was. She just didn't act like it. All cats are different. Most just aren't so nice to our sleeping schedule.
Mommy to:

Ginny, Rosie, Hermione, Zoey, Pinky, Clom, Raxie, Ian, Mori, Fred, George,Pumpkin, Christmas Tangerine, and River Song

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:49:56 PM »
I would get her spayed ASAP.  A cat in heat is miserable and is of the mindset that misery loves company.  Oh the yowling!  Then to add to the fun, if she isn't spayed and she isn't bred she eventually goes into perpetual heat until one of the two occurs.  Imagine how fun the yowling is 24/7.

Offline Rat_Mommy00

• Rat Breeder
    • Coco's Rattery
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »
My cat was the same. I got her when she was 2 months old and wasnt spayed, but I never noticed her go in heat. I took her to the vet for a checkup when she was a year old and the vet said she was currently in heat and showed me her vulva was swollen and pink. She said because she was an indoor cat and never went out, and there were no street cats that hung around our place, she never had the necessity to "display" herself. All she would do it purr a lot.  Needless to say, she ran out when we were moving and when she came back she then started yowling and acting up when in heat. So maybe thats whats going on with yours.

I do suggest spaying her though. Ive spayed my girl and shes a happy girl.  ;D
Vanessa & Danny
Coco's Rattery
Dedicated to the love and health of ratties of all colors, shapes and sizes. <3
Mommy and Slave to 1 dog- Estrella, 2 cats- Jewel & Snow, 4 lovebirds, 2 cockatiels, and of course the entire Rattery <3

Offline trueblue

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »

I wasnt too happy when the HS tattooed one of my boys when he got neutered but it makes sense at least you know they got speutered. Of course its obvious on males anyway which is why I wasnt too happy. Now he has a blue belly. Looks like someone took a marker to him.  ::)

It is possible for an animal to be a cryptorchid (undescended testicles). They tattoo the animals so that anyone else would know for sure that the pet is altered and not a cryptorchid. Having two undescended testicles is rare but it does happen, and the tattoo will save an animal from having anesthesia and abdominal surgery for no reason.

To the OP, whether your cat is displaying visible signs of heat or not, if she has her reproductive organs she is at risk for pyometra and breast cancer. Pyometra requires emergency surgery to save their lives and can happen at any age - I once saw a 5-month old cat with this condition. Breast cancer is 90% malignant in cats. She may have cystic ovaries which could affect her reproductive cycles but does not change the detrimental aspects of being intact.