Author Topic: PT + Mammary Tumor = Cabergoline  (Read 387 times)

Offline msommers

PT + Mammary Tumor = Cabergoline
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »
As I posted several weeks ago; India has several fast growing mammary tumors. I keep thinking that there is something we aren't putting together, because rats are frequently used as test models in human studies. So I began to look around...

I came across several studies that pointed to prolactin, rather than estrogen as the hormone driver for some human mammary tumors. Prolactin also seems to drive pituitary tumor growth. Then I came across a study of (100?) rats  that died with mammary tumors. The necropsy showed that most had pituitary tumors as well, even though small and not yet showing symptoms ( I was interrupted and now can't find this). Another study showed good results giving Cabergoline after mammary tumor removal to prevent reoccurring tumors.

Cabergoline acts to inhibit the release of prolactin and gonadrotopin (sp?). I also found this drug on-line. It seems to be used by body-builders. Brand names include: Dostinex, Galastop(in UK), Cabasar. This drug was given to rats every 3 days.

Bromocriptine, which BigBen and others have used to slow PT growth, also has a UK product called Pergolide (?). Some tumors have been shown to be resistant to this drug. The side effects may make this drug less tolerated by rats, and it has to be given twice a day.

Thoughts?

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
Re: PT + Mammary Tumor = Cabergoline
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:21:29 AM »
Remember, the bromocriptine is notably less expensive, so that needs to be factored into decision making.  In the US, it's also easier to get.  Some folks have had tremendous success; the one bout of PT I ever dealt with did not respond.  But if I had it to do all over again, I would try it with any PT.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:33:29 AM »
When I treated for a pt with cabergoline I noticed a reduction in her mammary tumor.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 07:33:33 AM »
Someone else I know is having a large mammary tumour respond to bromocriptine, but not having great results with the PT.  I put a girl on bromo but the tumour kept growing then she stopped responding and passed quite quickly.  I think its something that should be looked into but isn't a guarantee by any means, its just another attempt to treat.

My best success was Malcolm, he lived over 6 months on bromocriptine given once a day. It also is much less expensive in N. America overall for the average rat owner.

http://ratguide.com/meds/central_nervous_system_drugs/bromocriptine_mesylate.php

http://ratguide.com/meds/central_nervous_system_drugs/cabergoline.php

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:36:04 AM by lilspaz68 »

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »
I was just wondering this very afternoon if these drugs worked with other sorts of tumors, and was delighted to spot this thread!  :balloon:

The vet just prescribed bromo for Elizabeth (the prednisolone is no longer quite as effective as it was at first), and I had a great chat with the pharmacist this p.m., when I went to pick it up.  She wanted to know what I was going to treat Lizzie for, and was very interested to learn that it was for a PT, since bromocriptine is the standard drug for PT in people, as well.  Cabergoline works in people, too, she said, but we agreed that the added effectiveness is not always worth the vast extra cost.  The conversation was actually a lot more interesting than it may sound from my description of it, and it really brightened my day.

What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  3m1f10r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 02:43:26 AM »
Emily's tumors seemed to respond well to the bromocriptine. The ones she got after the larger ones were removed anyway.
Gremlin's tumors, not so much but I should try again to be certain. I can't remember if I ever put her on full dose. She's not good with taking meds.

I have successfully been treating Gloom's pituitary tumor with bromocriptine for 2- 2.5 months (I would have to check) and hopefully many more! She has a few small mammary tumors that don't seem to  be growing very fast either.

I think it's always worth a try! I buy my bromo from here. I think it's a great price. I have them contact my vet via phone to get the consent. http://www.universalpetmeds.com/medications/Bromocriptine/

Offline etky

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 06:03:50 PM »
Yes, I have seen the same information. When Sassafras got about 7 mammary tumors that popped up all at once our vet prescribed cabergoline to at least try to slow the growth. It was somewhat successful, but about a month later Sassafras developed neuro symptoms consistent with a pt as she was pts shortly after (she also had a million other things going on).  Our vet said she knew of another vet that gave bromocriptine to all female rats after their first mammary tumor to prevent future ones...but I wonder if that isn't maybe a bit of overkill. I'd want to see research first.