Author Topic: My goofy boy is gone. RIP Beaker...  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
My goofy boy is gone. RIP Beaker...
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »
When I took him to the vet on Saturday because he was losing weight, I figured it would be related to his IBD, and we'd do a steroid shot, and everything would be good.

Then we did bloodwork, and his immune system was going nuts, killing off his red blood cells.  Yeah, we got a steroid shot, but it was way bigger than anticipated, in hopes of shutting down his immune system.  Sunday, he stopped eating on his own, so the vet had me syringe feeding him a/d, just to get something into him.  I did that all day Monday, and took him in for a recheck of his hematocrit this morning to see if anything was helping.  It wasn't.  So he suggested x-rays.  And that's when he found it.  Lung cancer. 

So, I said goodbye to part of my heart today.  He was our youngest, at around 14 years of age.  It just hurts so much.   :'(

He spent quite a lot of his last few days in his "hammock", which is the end of the recliner that we always had to leave out just for him...

In his prime, he was a big ol' cat.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=82837417008&l=6b9a62a71e

And he always looked worried.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150452218347009&l=06d848fd94

We will miss him greatly, as he was always cracking us up.  And it will take me a while to stop looking for him when I come home.  He was always my "it's dinner time for the cats" reminder.

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
Re: My goofy boy is gone. RIP Beaker...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:23:55 PM »
I am so sorry, poor thing. He was gorgeous. Rest well, handsome boy.  :heart:

Offline TheBandit

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fuzzy Dudes!
    • Bandit's House
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »
So sorry. :( He was a very handsome kitty

Ratless. :(

Missing Erebus, Quiz, Bandit, Appa and Janus. Rest well, my loves. You were all magical and beautiful, and I'll miss you always.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »
Oh Marybelle, I just saw this.  I'm so sorry.  He was a beautiful cat!  I've got a soft spot for black kitties.