Author Topic: Barbering?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Barbering?
« on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
My cat has recently been grooming his lower stomach to the point of some of the hair coming out and thinning. I'm not sure what this behavior is in cats. Does anyone know if this is a boredom thing for him or should I try and get him to the vet? He absolutely hates car rides so I'm trying to avoid it until next spring if I can so I can try exposing him to the car slowly but if that's what needs to be done.

He's a fixed male, estimated to be about 4-5 years old, and tested positive for FeLv this past April when I took him in.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Barbering?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
Licking in that area could be a sign of discomfort.  If you have a good relationship with your vet, you may be able to start with just bringing in some urine and a stool sample, rather than bringing in the cat.  I would certainly check for health issues, though.

My Isis starting grooming her belly bald, and with her, it ended up being hyperthyroidism, and not a UTI or parasites, but both are equally viable alternatives.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »
His stomach is hard/bloated today so we're going to a vet tomorrow. There's a local clinic that specializes in cats that is only a 10 minute drive from us versus a 30 minute.
As of right now, only his appetite is off but if something else comes up, we'll be off to an emergency vet.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »
Have you seen him using the litter box?  Is he straining at all?  If he's trying to pee and straining, but having nothing come out, then it's an emergency, as it most likely means he's got a blocked ureter from crystals.  It happens in male cats because their ureters are very narrow. 

If he's peeing normally, then you're probably okay to wait until tomorrow.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »
He's peeing okay as far as I know but I will try to catch him as soon as I can.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »
He peed! Still planning on getting him to a vet in the morning. His belly has softened a little bit though but he's feeling crummy and only eaten baby food, no kibble.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
Peeing is good!  :)  Hopefully the vet will be able to help you get him sorted out in the morning.  :)

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »
Well, we just got back from a 3 hour vet trip. After blood work, x-rays, and back and forth with the vet, he has bronchitis, is actually FIV+, and she suspects that he has colitis. He's on Metronidazole and Prednisolone for the next 14 days and has to go back around then for a recheck.

One of his kidneys is enlarged so she's concenered about that. I just couldn't afford the full blood panel that she wanted to run.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Awww... poor baby.  :(