Author Topic: My cat has bad fleas?  (Read 5987 times)

Offline RastaRattata

My cat has bad fleas?
« on: July 03, 2013, 07:31:20 PM »
My cat used to be an outdoor cat when we lived in the country and he hardly ever had fleas, but since we moved to the city he has fleas CONSTANTLY. We never had to give him baths or medication before, but now he needs a bath every two weeks or so just to keep us all from being eaten alive. We want to try capstar, but we're not sure if it is safe (I can't find any negative reviews other than it "not working" but I still want to be sure there aren't any bad things happening).

We're going to ask the vet when we see her next, but that's not for another two weeks and his fleas were really bad before his bath today.

We'd try it based on the appearance of no reviews about bad things happening, but he's 19 and we still aren't sure if it would be safe for him in his old age.

Thoughts? Opinions? Insight?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: My cat has bad fleas?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
For a cat that age, you're good to be cautious, but if you're using regular flea shampoos to bathe him, he's probably being exposed to more chemicals in those shampoos than the Capstar (or Advantage or Frontline) would do.    I'd call the vet and ask about Advantage, but it tends to be fairly safe for young or old animals, and should work fairly quickly.

edit cuz i r spel gud
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:33:46 PM by Marybelle »

Offline RastaRattata

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:17:50 PM »
For a cat that age, you're good to be cautious, but if you're using regular flea shampoos to bathe him, he's probably being exposed to more chemicals in those shampoos than the Capstar (or Advantage or Frontline) would do.    I'd call the vet and ask about Advantage, but it tends to be fairly safe for young or old animals, and should would fairly quickly.

Thank you! We'll contact our vet before purchasing anything just to be sure.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:49:35 PM »
Capstar isnt a long term treatment. It is only effective for about 24 hours, only kills live fleas and does nothing to solve your real problem which is fleas in your house. The fleas in the house are just reinfesting the cat.

Shampoos and over the counter things are toxic and or ineffective. Even the herbal collars and such are toxic to cats.

Frontline and the generic brand of same ingredient available at walmart is no longer effective on fleas. Dont waste your money and time on them.

I have been happy with advantage. It kills both fleas and prevents new eggs from forming. I have brought in several flea infested rescues and find the fleas on the cat dead within 24 hours plus the fleas continue to be eliminated as they hatch which helps to get rid of them in your house. Revolution does not kill live fleas so it will not be effective fast enough in your situation.

Vacuum daily and throw the bag out immediately afterwards. Change your sheets and wash all your bedding. Putting the mattresses in bed bug bags can help but the flea eggs will just stay around until exposed to an animal later when you take the cover off, then they will hatch and everything starts all over again.

I have never had to treat the carpet or furniture with anything. I just vacuum and keep the cats treated with advantage for at least 6 months to get rid of all the fleas.

As far as age, that is up to your vet. Generally as long as the cat is healthy it shouldnt be a problem. The fleas are probably causing more harm.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »

You can also use diatomaceous earth or table salt in the carpet to help kill eggs and young fleas living there.  This isn't necessary, but it should help get rid of the fleas more quickly.  When salting the carpet and treating all furry creatures, I stopped noticing a flea problem within a week or so.

As forky said, its' really important to keep treating the cats for 6 months.  Even if most of the fleas are dead, you need to make sure to get all the ones hiding in the house somewhere.  If you stop treating too soon, flea eggs around the house will hatch and your problem will return.  I've used Revolution to kill adult fleas a while ago- has it stopped working well?  My cats are indoors only and I have not had flea issues in years.  Definitely avoid fipronil based products like Frontline- they don't work and you end up with a flea covered pet waiting for the fipronil to wear off before you can use a product that works.

Also be sure to deworm everyone- fleas carry tape worms.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
Heres a link to the comparisons. Revolution does kill adult fleas but not as effective. Its really better as a preventative than getting an infestation under control because its also not effective to kill eggs and larvae. It keeps the adults from reproducing but the eggs and larvae already in the house need to hatch and become adults to get rid of them. Make sense?

Heres the link, http://www.1800petmeds.com/flea_and_tick_comparison.jsp

Offline RastaRattata

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:07:21 AM »
I told my mom about the suggestion to use Advantage and she said she'd look into it. I didn't know that Capstar wasn't all that effective (my brother was the one that looked it up). Thank you all for letting me know! We'll look into Advantage!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »
I told my mom about the suggestion to use Advantage and she said she'd look into it. I didn't know that Capstar wasn't all that effective (my brother was the one that looked it up). Thank you all for letting me know! We'll look into Advantage!

Capstar is very effective but only for 24 hours.

Offline Cortney

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »
I don't know if the fleas are still an issue for you, but adult fleas live on the cat, the eggs fall off and into carpet, beds, cracks in linoleum, and things like that. To get rid of fleas permanently, you need to treat your whole house as well. Also, don't forget that fleas can transmit tapeworm to a cat!

Offline Rat_Mommy00

• Rat Breeder
    • Coco's Rattery
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Oh Ive had problems with fleas too cuz both my cats are long fur and those little buggers just bury themselves in there. But after much research, I have finally found something that works!!

First: I give my cat the Capstar tablet and wait about 30 min. Then, wash your cat with Dawn or Joy dish soap. I prefer Joy. That will help stun and kill the fleas and they literally fall off! I then dry them and put the Advantage 2 (its pricey, but soo worth it!) Then take your cat to a flea free home or somewhere it could stay overnight so you can treat your house.

Second: Before you vaccuum, get flea bombs. The ones I use are the Ortho Home Defense. You can find them at Home Depot and they are not too pricey. Follow the instructions on it. After your house had been aired out, put everything the kitty has been around that can be washed, to wash and vaccuum the carpet. After all is spic and span, get the Ortho Home Defense furniture spray (I believe its only one kind, but make sure it lists that it kills fleas and ticks) and spray all furniture, under the bed, your mattress, kittys area, anything that cannot be washed in the washer. It will be stinky for about 10-20 min, but let everything air out and the smell will be gone. The cool thig is you can spray it on you furniture and stuff and wont have to clean or vaccuum it, but it helps repel the fleas (and other bugs) from landing on it. And it helps kill the eggs and larvea that are already there.

I find I can do all thing is one day. It works, its not extremely over the top or too pricey, and my cats are flea free and we are all happy. Plus, youll only have to do this once (with the exception of the advantage once a mnth fr 3 mnths) Oh..and the Diatemacous Earth works to maintain them off as well if you mix it with ther food.  :thumbsup2:
Vanessa & Danny
Coco's Rattery
Dedicated to the love and health of ratties of all colors, shapes and sizes. <3
Mommy and Slave to 1 dog- Estrella, 2 cats- Jewel & Snow, 4 lovebirds, 2 cockatiels, and of course the entire Rattery <3

Offline trueblue

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
If you prefer oral medications like Capstar, try Comfortis. It's a flea tablet that lasts for 30 days as opposed to 24 hours.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 06:35:34 PM »
For any topical flea meds they should not be used within 48 hours of a bath (before or after)

Offline trueblue

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 08:57:11 PM »
With Revolution you can actually bathe two hours after application because it is absorbed systemically, but there should be no reason to do this with a cat.