Author Topic: Help me keep my bunn!  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Jesslynn

Help me keep my bunn!
« on: October 01, 2013, 02:13:04 AM »
I brought a bunny home not knowing that my partner is very allergic to bunnies and hay. Go figure...
I am very attached to him, and I do not want to let him go. I am also way to picky about how small pets are treated to let him go to another family. I just love him so much already!

My partners breathing is getting worse and worse and he is feeling stuffy and clouded when he is home. He doesnt touch the bunn...so i am hoping it is just the hay. I was hoping to try keeping the bunny but eliminating the hay. Is that possible? Can bunn not just eat pellets and other things, perhaps fresh grass, and use fleece and scraps for bedding?

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
  • Never judge from the outside.
Re: Help me keep my bunn!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 07:18:17 AM »
Do NOT cut hay from your bunnies diet by any means, hay is the most important thing in their diet. They must have an unlimited and continuous supply of hay every day.

A lot of people who are allergic to timothy hay are not allergic to Bluegrass hay, so you may want to try that. Fresh grass can be used instead of hay (as hay is just dried grass)  but you must have a constant supply of good green grass all year long (summer, spring , fall, and winter) and the grass cannot be treated with any pesticides. You will also have to have quite a bit because as i said, they will need an unlimited supply. Also, you can try a air purifier with a HEPA filter as sometimes those are known to help with allergies.

Also, the bun should be gettingthis daily : unlimited hay, around 1/8 to 1/4 pellets per 6 lbs of plain pellets (no seeds, dried fruit, or nuts) , and about 2 cups minimun of green leafy vegetables and little of others (bell pepper, little carrot) and occasionally a small amount of fruit. ( this is assuming that your bun is an adult)

Recommended veggies ( i suggest reading the whole page)    http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Diet basics : (If you're bun is a baby, they have reccomended diets for it)    http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

If you want more info i would reccomend you look around and read through some of that site : rabbit.org
~Alyssa

Offline Jesslynn

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »
Thanks! That's awesome.
The bunn is occupying half of the kitchen, which is right in the middle of the living room and our bedrooms. My partner can barely breath in the house. I have a large digging area full of hay for her, and an open cage full of hay as well. I am going to try a different kind of hay, and look for a feeding dispenser type thing that will sort of contain it. For her play area I am going to get some straw instead. Good call on the air purifier! Done and done.
I just don't want to put the bunn outside. I dont have an enclosure for her to live in outside, and she wont get any attention out there. She is used to always being at my feet now. I just used the sides and walls of an extra DCN I had kicking around to block of an area for her.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
My mom has rabbits and also some hay allergies.   Allergy meds help, and she has figured out some of the types of hay she's allergic to and tries to avoid those, but sometimes a field it comes from is too close to one with one that affects her etc.   

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »
I don't want to start an argument, but all of the information I've found whilst researching the proper care of rabbits (as a multipurpose animal, pet, food, and show) has recommended against most of the information from The House Rabbit Society. And from what I've found on diet some of their recommendations can be detrimental to a rabbits health.

As for having hay as a bedding and it being so prevalent in your bunns pen, no wonder your poor partner is having breathing trouble! Hay is a very dusty substrate/food, for the sake of your partners health I'd really hope you'd consider switching your bunny to a fleece bedding with towels and/or these: http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670 underneath to absorb urine. Don't purchase straw as it really is no better than hay, it has the same disadvantages and provides little to no nutritional value.

And you can pretty easily switch your bunny over to hay pellets to really cut down on potential allergens and irritants, the quantity of veggies recommended by the above poster, from what I've found, may be unnecessary, and could potentially upset your rabbits stomach as well. If you really want to feed that quantity work up to it don't just start feeding him that amount right off the bat. And feed your rabbit how ever much pellets he needs to keep fit, not fat, (Just like you would your dog) remember that when you pet him you shouldn't easily be able to feel his spine, but you should be able to feel his ribs below a small layer of fat.

It's also very easy to litter train a rabbit, as I mentioned in your previous post, bunnies like to eliminate whilst they nibble on hay, if you put a handful on top of some safe litter in a box they'll begin to use it.

Good luck with your bunny. And if you want to find a more bunny savvy forum I'd still like to recommend rabbittalk.com
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
Is there somewhere out of the center of the living area you could put her cage?   I agree with box train her and that much hay is really not needed.   A C and C cage would be better, the size of a CN is really not big enough for a rabbit.   Is getting it fixed on the to do list?   If your partner has good health insurance possibly allergy test?