Author Topic: what to do with fighting littermates???  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Chelsea

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Blog
what to do with fighting littermates???
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »
My roommate and I have two cats, Pantoufle (mine) and Spock (hers), littermates adopted from the same place at the same time a few months ago when they were only about 8 weeks old. They're maybe 6 months now. The only time they have spent apart was the first night and several weeks ago for a few hours when Spock got neutered. (Pantoufle has not been yet.) They have never had any issues, they just play-fight, which is really obvious it's not serious.

Tonight I was taking a shower and my roommate got home before I got out of the bathroom. She had brought home a tiny sweater because she wanted to see what it looked like on the cats, and she put it on Pantoufle first. He ran around in it and he and Spock were playing for several minutes before I came out of the bathroom. I opened the door and Pantoufle was sitting across from me sulking (I can only imagine he was embarrassed about the shirt) and Spock was in my roommate's bedroom sitting in the window sill. After a few seconds Pantoufle kind of absent-mindedly wandered in there, too, and Spock started FREAKING OUT. Full-blown growling, hissing, all of his fur on end, standing stock-still and just staring at Pantoufle. He wouldn't budge, he kept sitting there and growling and hissing and at first Pantoufle was really confused, and then he realized Spock was hissing at him and he got sooo scared. He backed up right away all the way behind my roomie's dresser and I yanked the shirt off of him when he went back there.

We took Spock out of the bedroom and were trying to get him to calm down, and he took a few minutes but he did. Meanwhile Pantoufle came out from behind the dresser and was looking around really cautiously and was still super freaked out. We were holing Spock and as soon as he saw Pantoufle he'd puff up and start growling again. He never actually made a move to attack and there were two times he actually let Pantoufle sniff him and sat down next to him, but then he'd get  up, walk away, and start hissing and growling again. Brandy kept Spock in the bathroom with her while she took a shower and I kept Pantoufle with me, and it seemed like they were calming down so we went into the kitchen and were talking about work when we heard yowling again and Pantoufle and Spock were on oopposite ends of the hallway from one another (like across the apartment) and they BOTH were flat to the ground, ears down, hackles up, snarling at each other.

I don't know what to do??? I thought at first maybe the sweater pissed him off but now they won't let it up and they're acting SO weird. I read a few things on Google saying that you shouldnt keep them separated but both of us are going to be gone all day tomorrow (I get home first at 4ish) and I don't trust them not to fight and try to kill each other while Im at work... what do I do about this????? It's really freaking me out, I cant figure out what set it off or how to deal with it...

♡ 2010-2013 | rip Luca, Louie, Toph,
 and my best friends, Mishka & Willow ♡

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: what to do with fighting littermates???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »
I would make sure they can't get to each other, but still have access to sniff each other, like under a door.  Will either of you be able to stop for a Feliway product on your way home?   It might help.

Offline Chelsea

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »
I actually wound up being home today. If I feel up to going to the store later I will see what I can do. We had Spock in the bathroom last night and at one point my roomie got up and let him out. The cats are fine today. I have no idea what happened but they are acting 100% normal and dont seem to have any injuries so it was maybe a false alarm. I was just really freaked out. Ive only ever had an only cat so Ive never had to deal with fighting, and everyone like my mom was trying to tell me that they were going to start pissing on things or that they would never get along again.

♡ 2010-2013 | rip Luca, Louie, Toph,
 and my best friends, Mishka & Willow ♡

Offline wishbone

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:51:51 AM »
Sounds like siblings rivalry to me, but that dress might have some kind of scent that irritates your roommate's cat or something. You can try spraying water whenever they start getting aggressive or fighting to interrupt and keep them separated until they calm down.
My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline littlewolf

• Animals heal a soul faster than anything else
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
it sounds like the sweater smelled like another cat.bath the cat and wash the sweater.the one growling is most likely confused and scared as to why his brother smells like another cat.