Author Topic: Ferret questions?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
  • Never judge from the outside.
Ferret questions?
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »
So my family has been contemplating getting a pair of ferrets for a while, we have all read Ferrets For Dummies. Of course we wouldn't get them unless we were 100% sure we knew we could handle them and we probably wouldn't be getting them soon.  I did have a question for those of you with both ferrets and rats:  The ferrets would have to be in a room that is where the rats are, if we got them, so I was wondering if that would be ok. They would be across the room ( about 12 ft apart) and we would never let them have direct contact. If seeing the rats or sticking out rattie paws/ tails would cause problems when they were out roaming, I could put up a wall made of something ( coroplast maybe) around the cage for that time. I might be able to let them have roaming time in another part of the house so they wouldn't be roaming around the rat cage. I don't know if that would help, I would never want to put my animals in stress. Thank you in advance for any advice.
~Alyssa

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Ferret questions?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
I only had one issue with my ferrets and rats and that was when the rat cage was on the floor and the ferrets could climb it. One of my females ended up getting bit by one of the rats and she left them alone after that. I'd definitely suggest keeping some kind of barrier around the rat cage or moving it up onto a table just to prevent the ferrets from getting bit.

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
Thank you! That's good to know. BTW, your ferrets are adorable!
~Alyssa

Offline ibinitch

• It's funnier in Enochian.
    • The Creative Owl
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
I keep both my ferrets and rats in my bedroom and I've never had an issue with the ferrets reaching the rats. The only issue I had was my rats trying to climb the ferrets cage when they were roaming but I just keep a strict watch and keep some sort of barrier.
Bri, furmom to chihuhuas Princess & Daisy, rats Ruby & Piper & ferrets Penny, LD, Chester & Willow.
Rest Peacefully Maggie, Charlie, Minnie & Butters.
~ My Etsy Shop

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
I keep both my ferrets and rats in my bedroom and I've never had an issue with the ferrets reaching the rats. The only issue I had was my rats trying to climb the ferrets cage when they were roaming but I just keep a strict watch and keep some sort of barrier.
Yeah, my rats have a large martins playpen and get cuddle time on my bed, so no worries of them getting to the ferret cage.
~Alyssa