Author Topic: stray being introduced to existing household of critters  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Gypsyrags

• The road to my heart is paved with paws...
stray being introduced to existing household of critters
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:57:35 PM »
So, we found this stray and brought him in (into our bathroom) he has been treated for anything infectious. and scheduled for a fel/fiv test the day that he gets neutered.
the problem is that he is severly cat aggressive from being a stray for a least 6 monthes. - his back story is that he had a family for about four years, but they moved out of state and left him behind.
he is the most affectionate cat i have ever met towards people , but with animals he charges and "barks"
Is this all just hormones or could it be from being outside. he is back on real food and has already gained 2 lbs in a week.  and uses the box perfectly . my live in bil wants him so bad but if we cant intro him into our clan idk about that.

we currently keep them in separate rooms and switch them out. to get used to each-others smells.
In rescuing animals I've lost my mind, but found my soul.

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
Re: stray being introduced to existing household of critters
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
Could be hormones. Cats are funky to begin with so some of that will be just because he's a cat. I'm sure a couple weeks after he's neutered and he will calm down a lot.

Offline elkedoring

• Ritten
Re: stray being introduced to existing household of critters
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
Could go either way. Fixing the cat will DEFINITELY help. I can also suggest Feliway...it's a diffuser plug in that has really helped my two cats get along. And you are very smart to get them used to each other's smells. That will also help. If you have a gate, getting them used to the sight of each other also helps a lot. Even if in small doses.