Author Topic: luxating patella questions  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
luxating patella questions
« on: November 17, 2013, 01:48:34 PM »
My little girl as a puppy had a slight case of hip dysphasia and luxating patellas. First time anything came of it she was about 4 months old. She got an adjustment and all was set pretty much. It never really bothered her unless she stepped funny or jumped wrong. And when that happened I could generally massage her leg and she could go back to normal without issues. I mean she doesn't have to best structure to begin with. I'm dreading her as a senior because just the way she walks on a good day it's clear those little joints are going to have problems in her golden years.

She is currently just over 4. When the weather got really cold the other day is when she stopped putting weight on the one leg. But it could have been a fluke that the weather got cold and this happened, she is a terrier after all so she is always flying around the place like a nut case. We massaged it, she'd put a little weight but then start limping again. She got an adjustment again last night. Her lower back was really out of place as were her hips. She started running on all four legs again right after and for the rest of the night but this morning she started limping again. I know sometimes after getting that knee cap back in place she will still hold that leg up as if it still hurts. She will eventually slip up and put her foot down and that's when she realizes go hey, I can walk on this thing again. So I don't know if that's part of her issue right now also.

I figure there is a possibility that I may have to have surgery on the leg to help correct it but at what age does that normally happen. Does it get worse with age or is it always just you got bad knee caps little lady. And does the cold make it worse?

I've started adding joint supplements in her food and I'm debating on getting her some pet steps, though I'm not entirely sure she will use them. Are there any tips to help her in the meantime.

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
Re: luxating patella questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »
So after looking over at her leg again looks like it's not a patella issue but rather her achilles tendon.  :-\

Offline wishbone

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:56:52 PM »
Oh poor little girl, so sorry hear what she's going through. I have an online friend who's her papillon has luxating patella on both front legs, just glad she had a very experienced vet who recommended an operation. I just don't know the details yet but she would have good chance of getting better. I think you would need to look for a good vet too regarding her condition, hope she will get better soon.
My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
They said they aren't really bad enough for surgery yet. Or if ever. I have an amazing vets who is a great at surgeries but eek, I hope she doesn't beep that operation. Normally she can, or I can help her, stretch her leg and it pops in easily. That's why I got worried that it lasted this long but as I was rubbing her leg and got near her back she flipped out. That's when I noticed the swelled on her hock. Though luckily she only sprained her tendon vs a tear or complete tear. She's putting weight back on it every now and then and the swelling is going down. I'm not sure how she did this.

The door didn't latch properly when My bf left for work the day before I noticed this. And of course by chance he didn't check the door or close the second door like we normally do. I got a call saying someone found my dog, harley. But luckily Casey and the cats were still in the house. Now I'm wondering if she did venture off and did something To it outside and managed to get back to the house and inside? She's bad about wandering off too if we let her so I was shocked and relieved when she was inside. But who knows, I got the call almost two hours after he had gone to work.

The dogs did not have a good weekend to say the least. A lucky weekend in that it could have both been a lot worse, but a bad weekend still.