Author Topic: Thoughts on electronic fence please  (Read 1439 times)

Offline wishbone

Thoughts on electronic fence please
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »
So our jrt Wishbone is getting an escape artist lately, we know he likes adventures and we always walk him or have long walk at the nearby forest park but we cannot allow him to go on his own. Just this week he managed to escape 3 times through back door and the garage, just glad he stays on the yard probably waiting for a companion to wander around. Mom had chance to talk to her friend which is a dog professional too about Wish and mentioned investing on wireless fence for training, she seemed have high knowledge of it and would glad to help. She tried a training collar on Wish once and her initial assessment he's smart and would be easy to train, she also mentioned few models and we've been looking at this site for good ones http://www.petstreetmall.com/wireless-dog-fence.aspx but would like to know your thoughts guys here. There are mix opinions out there but we know we have enough resources and time to train him using a system. Does anyone have any experience? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you in advance.
Also, we saw him attracted to the grass lately and had a diarrhea in since last night, poor little guy had to lay down a bit. Its very unusual for him to just lay down there and not playing, he will have pumpkin and yogurt added on his meal now.
My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline Alpha1

Re: Thoughts on electronic fence please
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
Wireless dog fences are pretty good, I have been using them for years. Just be careful when using them though.

Offline Alpha1

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »
I ended up buying the perimeter wireless fence from the site you shared above. This is the exact one http://www.petstreetmall.com/Perimeter-WIFI-Dog-Fence/8668/3697/details.html  and so far so good, we had issues during the first days and I was not comfortable with them but we are getting used to them. I would still advise you be careful with them. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of getting such a fence.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
We had a wireless fence at the monastery.  One of the dogs became nastier as she aged and started causing trouble at the neighbors' houses.  The company that installed the fence provided training.  The company trainer took on the nasty job of introducing the dogs to the fence so it wouldn't poison our relationship with them.  He also trained us how to get the dogs across the fence at need.  The problem dog had it as her life's mission to bring down a deer and would sometimes endure the shock in order to chase after one, even with the collar turned up to the highest shock level.  On the whole, however, the fence worked quite well.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n