Author Topic: Ferret Cage requirement  (Read 1473 times)

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
Ferret Cage requirement
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »
So i'm having a hard time finding something to give me a good idea on what a ferrets cage requirements as far as size should be. And there's not very many active forums that are ferret based, though Ive registered on 3 and haven't gotten much luck at all. So does anyone here know? here's a better question i guess

what does everyone think of this cage?
http://www.zooplus.se/shop/gnagare_smadjur/burar_hagar/chincillaburar/382337

How many ferrets COULD it hold?? (Dont worry I only plan on getting one or two, speaking of which... do they have to be kept in pairs? I'm home all day long and will be spending a lot of time with the ferret, mostly free range :) hehe)

If its any help the cage is 19.5 inches deep, 30 inches wide, and 55 inches tall! Thanks guys!
My wonderful son: Vincent Jacob
Rats: Timon, Kuzco, Dante and Taz
My beautiful puppies: Charlie and Danger
RIP: Vergil <3 Mommy Misses You
Always in my heart: Snickers, Tootsie, Coriander, and Little Jimmy,

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Ferret Cage requirement
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
Yes at least 2 they need a friend.  How much space is not widely known. I have read 3 per single critter nation. But like anything as big as you can.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
Yay ferret talk!

Join the American Ferret Association on Facebook. You dont' have to live in America. ;) It can be a little bit...drama-y...but it's worth it for the activity & amount of information you can get. I also strongly recommend reading Ferrets for Dummies. It's about $8 on Amazon right now and around $12 for the Kindle.  :thumbsup2: It's pretty much the only book that I would suggest anyone to read for ferrets.

Just like with rats, the bigger the better! Look for something with similar dimensions to a DFN or DCN - 4 can comfortably fit into either of those doubles. That cage looks like it could hold 2-3 comfortably, depending on the size of the ferret. Woops, I just saw you gave the dimensions. It's comparable to a Feisty Ferret which I keep four in but it's cramped. 2 is great and 3 can work if you've got smaller ferrets and plenty of out time. The more out time they get, the less time they need to spend in the cage. Personally, I'd pull the grate off of the bottom and just work on litter box training the ferrets since it's much easier for me!

Alsooooo, I saw you moved to Sweden, was it? Which is cool because you'll end up with different stock then what Americans have access to! I'm not sure if the care of European stock is at all different (although I think customs/traditions are). There are quite a few people from Europe in the AFA group who could point you towards good places to obtain ferrets too.  And, last thing, pairs are best! They can bond with humans but nothing can duplicate the friendship of another ferret.

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
Thanks guys  :bow:

My future babies will be free roaming in their room most of the time, the cage is only for when they need to be put up, and before litter training is semi complete lol.

I do plan to take the grate out of the bottom, and if it proves impossible (except by cutting or whatever) ill just cover it. Either way I don't plan to use the grate, its no good for their feet!

I wondered about the ferrets being in pairs because there are 3 dogs here, the 2 puppies love to play with the rabbit and have a lot of fun so I was hoping they'd get along with whatever ferret puppy i brought home. I plan to get my puppy from this breeder: http://www.raggarillern.se/110533025  Theyre only 1.5 hours away from me and they look like a good breeder. I've already gotten in contact with them and will be going to check out the adults soon I think. No litters until spring though! :P

The good thing about that breeders site is its in both Swedish and English so you guys can look too! hahah :)

Sad thing is though... I might have to wait on getting a ferret for a few years, or at least a year. Turns out his dad is allergic to almost everything with fur, and while were in the basement 98% of the day, and the ferret wouldn't leave the basement except to go outside with us, it might still be an issue for him..

He gets asthma problems when there are animals with a certain kind of fur around.. his daughters rabbit acts it up sometimes, the dogs are hypoallergenic though it seems???

Do you think keeping a ferret down here, vaccuuming every day-every other day, and keeping an air purifier going down here would keep his allergies at bay? If it falls through I guess Ill take a puppy from his moms dog. They'll be breeding her soon. But I really don't want one of these dogs >< but being here without an animal companion of my own is KILLING me, so Ill definitely settle if I have to....for the right dog.
My wonderful son: Vincent Jacob
Rats: Timon, Kuzco, Dante and Taz
My beautiful puppies: Charlie and Danger
RIP: Vergil <3 Mommy Misses You
Always in my heart: Snickers, Tootsie, Coriander, and Little Jimmy,