Author Topic: Fat Dog - What to Feed  (Read 1348 times)

Offline trailerprincess13

Fat Dog - What to Feed
« on: January 01, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
My shih tzu is fat. He's 6 years old. Over the last 5 years he's gained about 5 pounds going from 13 to 18 pounds. He has arthritis now and I suspect losing some weight would do him good. I currently feed both dogs 3/4-1 cup of TOTW each per day. They don't always eat all of it. We don't go on regular walks, but it's always been that way. Obviously more activity would help but should I make any changes to his food? Any advice is appreciated.
Mommy to...
Rattie Boys:  Fred, Nermal, Oliver, Pierre, and Jacques
Rattie Girls:  Lucy, Sally, Lily, Violet, and Jelly Bean
Shih Tzu Babies: Brody and Mo
and King Herman our turtle

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
Re: Fat Dog - What to Feed
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »
You could replace some of his food with green beans. That way, he doesn't get as many calories, but it still helps him feel full. When one of our dogs needed to lose weight, our vet recommended 1/3 of his meal be green beans to start. I just use the canned No Salt Added Walmart brand ones. He lost the weight he needed, and I eventually cut back on the green beans. He still gets some with dinner, but I played with the ratio of green beans to dry food until I found a good balance where he wasn't starving and he was maintaining a good weight.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:28:18 PM by cerulean.blue »

Offline Clairity95

Re: Fat Dog - What to Feed
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:41:17 PM »
The green beans do work! One of our dogs is a chunky butt and continuously has green beans with her food. Exercise will also help. Perhaps a food change?