Author Topic: Welcome home, Sonya!  (Read 2289 times)

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Welcome home, Sonya!
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:14:09 PM »
My family has a new member, Sonya.  We brought her home yesterday.

With my husband, as soon as we got home from the Humane Society:

It didn't take long to get her contentedly snuggling on the couch.

The snow was up to her shoulders in this pic.  It's head-deep now, but she isn't fazed by it at all.

The shelter listed her as a Corgi mix, but honestly, I see more Dachshund in her.  We'll probably splurge on a genetic test one day, but for now we're content to just call her a low-rider.

She's about 40 pounds, and somewhere between 3-6 years old (we might try to get a better estimate when we take her for her first vet visit).  She's sweet and so laid back... I've already tried looking at her paws, ears, and teeth, and she doesn't react at all, which will certainly make life easier down the road.  She's definitely had some training before too - she knows "sit", "down", and "here"; I'm not sure about anything else, but she seems like she'll be a quick learner.

Offline NicnStitch

Re: Welcome home, Sonya!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »
So awesome! I wish we could have a dog, but with cats, rats, and our crazy lives, it just wouldn't work. Plus, I'm allergic. So, I live out my dream through others! I'm sure she'll have a great home!

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:10:11 PM »
I'm the opposite - horribly allergic to cats but not affected by dogs. I've had dogs all my life with he exception of the last 15 months. I knew my life was going to be chaotic for a while (I've moved three times in that period), so it didn't seem right to adopt again after my old guy Muffin passed. But we're finally settled into one place for a while, so the time was right.

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect dog. Her behavior is awesome, and she's pretty darn cute, too. Feel free to prod me for photos whenever you need a virtual dog fix  :thumbsup2:

Offline BlueSkyGirl12

• One rat... Two rats... Three rats... Okay, whew!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:58:01 PM »
She's beautiful!
Mommy/jungle gym to Missy, Poppy, and Jojo

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »
So pretty!! <3 She looks like such an angel!
My wonderful son: Vincent Jacob
Rats: Timon, Kuzco, Dante and Taz
My beautiful puppies: Charlie and Danger
RIP: Vergil <3 Mommy Misses You
Always in my heart: Snickers, Tootsie, Coriander, and Little Jimmy,

Offline furmommy

• All my children have paws
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 10:45:07 AM »
She is so beautiful! Congrats on your new baby!!
FurMommy to:
6 dogs: Spencer Reid, Charlie Joe, Jase, Molly, Emma Marie & Katie Lynn
2 cats: Flower & Orphan Annie & 4 newborn kittens
5 rats: Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Hunkybear and Pudge
3 mice: Charlotte, Jasmine & Josie
2 geckos: Kisses & Tito
1 bearded dragon: Titus

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
(I'm going to ignore the old-thread warning.  Mods, if it's a problem for me to update this old post, let me know.)

Sonya's genetic test results came in today!  My best guess was a lab/dachshund mix, and I couldn't have been more wrong.

One of her parents was a 50/50 mix of basset hound and border collie.  The other was a mutt including corgi and Portuguese water dog for about 50% of its DNA, and an unidentifiable mix for the other half.

Basset doesn't surprise me... she's stubborn as a brick and can be a bit lazy, but is a great snuggler and just loves everyone.  Although she's both intelligent and fairly obedient, border collie seems out of left field to me - I can't see it at all physically.  She has some neurotic herding instincts, though, which could be that collie shining through.  Corgi is the best match based on her looks, but makes up a relatively low portion of her background.  And the water dog, well, I don't see it at all.  She hates water, has a sheddy double coat, isn't particularly loyal, and won't retrieve.  She does have webbed feet and whines all the time, which can apparently be PWD traits.

She's still just Sonya the low rider wonder-mutt in my book  :thumbsup2:

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
I was wasting time online today and decided to put some more of Sonya's photos online.  Enjoy!

Album link: http://imgur.com/a/Scpip