Author Topic: Advice on nuisance dog?  (Read 948 times)

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Advice on nuisance dog?
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:36:23 PM »
So, I just moved into an apartment about a month ago.  A few days ago, I adopted a dog from a local shelter.  Since then, I've become worried about my neighbors' dog, and I'm not sure what to do.

Since moving in, I've noticed poo in my garden and on the sidewalk regularly, which my husband and I dutifully clean up.  I hadn't been around much, and had actually never seen the dog outside, so I kinda figured it was just a lazy owner (or several) not cleaning up after their dog(s) when they walk.  Now I've seen the source: this dog is just released out the front door several times a day, completely unsupervised, rather than being walked.

He is a big dog, and has always barked/growled/snarled when I walk past, but is inside, so it's been no real concern.  The last couple days, when I've come out and found him unattended, he acts skittish and bolts away.  He'll turn and show his teeth, but has never approached me.  I try to ignore him, because I'm afraid I'll spook him into the roadway otherwise.  The only time he and Sonya (my new pup) have seen each other, he threw a fit, attacking the railings on his balcony to the point that I was scared he was going to launch himself off the second floor and onto us.  I quickly brought her back inside, and she was shaking with fear.

I know it's only a matter of time until I go out for a walk with her and he's roaming with no owner in sight.  The shelter warned us that Sonya is not good with other dogs, and we haven't tried any introductions yet, so I have no idea how she'll react.  I don't want to wait until one or both dogs is bloody to find out.

Any pointers?  I've never seen the people who live there, only the dog.  I could knock and try to talk to them about it, but judging by the amount of poop I cleaned up when we moved in, I'm guessing this is what they've always done.  I'm afraid that reporting them to the leasing company will result in him being sent to a shelter, as the dog provision in the lease requires them to be leashed at all times and waste to be cleaned up.  I'm also almost certain that they'll know who put in the report - we just moved in, and the rest of the tenants have been in this building for years.  I don't want to make bad relationships with neighbors right off the bat, but I'll do what I need to if it means keeping Sonya (and their dog, for that matter) safe.

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Advice on nuisance dog?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:48:15 AM »
I would definitely talk to them about it. If it doesn't stop, maybe talk to them one more time. But personally me, Dont necessarily follow my advice-I'm a bit koo-koo, but I'd attempt to approach the dog while its outside, get it to walk up to you, as long as its not overly agressive. Maybe even bribe it with some food if possible (I dont know the dogs personality so idk if this will actually work) but then walk the dog back to its owners and make a final complaint about the dog being lose. If after three complaints they're still doing it, its time to get someone else involved. That dog is going to get hurt running in the street.
My wonderful son: Vincent Jacob
Rats: Timon, Kuzco, Dante and Taz
My beautiful puppies: Charlie and Danger
RIP: Vergil <3 Mommy Misses You
Always in my heart: Snickers, Tootsie, Coriander, and Little Jimmy,