Author Topic: "How to" sites?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline justjameo

"How to" sites?
« on: January 09, 2014, 03:47:51 AM »
Does anyone know of any how to sites to make corner wedges, cubes, double decker hammocks etc? I see so many people making and selling them. Do you just look at pics and figure it out? Is there a step by step guide that ratty owners all know about?? :icon_scratch: I'm so confused!! Lol

Please share your wisdom, oh sewing gods  :bow:
Current mama to two silly noodle boys (ferrets), a soon-to-be wife to my best friend & childhood crush, and step-mama to his absolutely amazing son.
======
Previous pet owner experience: cats, dogs, rats, hamsters, various birds, fishies, leopard geckos, & turtles

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
Re: "How to" sites?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
Someone on here, I cant remember who, has a PDF file full of tutorials. I have it on my phone! But I dont have the updated version
My wonderful son: Vincent Jacob
Rats: Timon, Kuzco, Dante and Taz
My beautiful puppies: Charlie and Danger
RIP: Vergil <3 Mommy Misses You
Always in my heart: Snickers, Tootsie, Coriander, and Little Jimmy,

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:57:36 AM »
AH HA! I FOUND ITTT!!! Its made by Vonda Z here on this forum!

http://www.ratropolis.com/Rat%20Tutorials/RatTutorials.htm

Go to that site, there's a link to download it on the top and bottom of the page so either works I think.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:59:38 AM by lovelyg4m3r »

Offline Ratilda

• Rittles and Bittles
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
Vonda's is most excellent.

There's another hammock tutorial website with a very different flavor and it's in Dutch so it's more challenging, but it provides even more variety to hammock making.  http://www.jollyrats.nl/
Rats: Carl, Daryl, Walternate, Peter, Philip, Stan, Butters, Smudge
http://rittlesandbittles.blogspot.com/

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:28:02 AM »
Vonda's is most excellent.

There's another hammock tutorial website with a very different flavor and it's in Dutch so it's more challenging, but it provides even more variety to hammock making.  http://www.jollyrats.nl/

Ooh thats awesome! Thanks for that link :D Google translate has been my best friend since I moved to Sweden and needed to translate websites. So translating this wont be anything out of the ordinary!

Offline molomatic

• The rattie girls: Harley and Ivy
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:25:10 AM »
I've made a hammock and cube from Vonda Z's tutorials.  The directions are very clear and there are tons of step by step photos. Really helpful!  Her blog also has great info about types of fleece and making cage liners.

In case you missed the link earlier:

http://www.ratropolis.com/Rat%20Tutorials/RatTutorials.htm

(Vonda Z, I love your blog!  Thanks!)

Offline thenightgoddess

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »
There is also this website I have it bookmarked but I have never made anything from it so I dont know how good it is. http://www.squidoo.com/homemade-rat-cages-and-toys

Offline justjameo

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
wow those are all so great! thank you  :BlueDumboSmile: :heart:
i know what im gonna be doing all weekend
Current mama to two silly noodle boys (ferrets), a soon-to-be wife to my best friend & childhood crush, and step-mama to his absolutely amazing son.
======
Previous pet owner experience: cats, dogs, rats, hamsters, various birds, fishies, leopard geckos, & turtles

Offline justjameo

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »
to make this:

would i just measure the top and bottom triangle, then the sides, and just sew it up like the regular cube??

all ive ever really sewn before was ripped shirts, jeans, and purses. nothing at all as fancy as these. i have my work cut out for me
======

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 04:50:23 PM »
Oh i made one of those :D They are fun. Okay, decide how big you want it, make the 2 triangles how big you want it to be plus some seam allowance. Id make sure the one angle was as close to 90 degrees as you can make it. Then make 3 rectangles. They should all be the same width as thats how tall your cube will be, and the length needs to match the length of  the sides of the triangle and sew together like a cube. If that makes sense. Im pretty sure the below translates to Cheesse Cottage so where it says cottage cheese, thats what it means :P

Heres a tutorial for that one, but its in dutch so ill translate it for you
http://www.jollyrats.nl/kaashuisje

Cut 4 rectangles of 17 cm x 25 cm. 2 for the inside and 2 to the exterior .
Cut four triangles of 27 cm x 27 cm . 2 for the inside and 2 to the exterior .
Cut one long rectangle for the outside of 17 cm x 38/38 , 5 cm
Cut 2 squares for the inside of 17 cm x 17/19 cm

- Do you want only one opening on the front make ? Then cut two long rectangles and let the two squares expire
 Step 2
Place the squares with the beautiful / good side of the beautiful / good side of the long rectangle . Mark on the squares in the middle on a circle of + / - 10 cm.
Stitching on the lines of the opening that you have drawn , and do not forget to tie off . Cut the fabric into the opening and once inside the squares as possible .
If you are inside the rectangle can have turned around the opening at + / - 5 mm choke .
This ensures that the opening can not slide and tidy.

Step 03
You now inside an overlap of the two squares . These fold and pin you down, while the pins once you make your seam inside .
How many cm you inside folds depends on how much cm fabric overlaps .

Step 4
After pinning the seam you sew him up . Then cut the excess fabric flat along the stitching.
Once the front of the cottage cheese again good .
You now have two openings made ​​in the front where you only have a seam on the inside of the house .

Step 5
We will now seamlessly put the sides at the front.
Put a rectangle inside the beautiful / right side up , this lay the front of the fabric for the inside bottom , then you put a rectangle on the outside with the nice / good side at the front . Pin it and sew it then fixed .

Step 6
Cut off the excess fabric flat along the stitching . Fold the rectangles so that the seam is on the inside .
Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other side.

Step 7
The sides are now seamlessly to the front.

Step 8
Fold the good / beautiful side of the fabric on the inside of one side and place it on the other side and secure it with pins to hold . 's In place

Turn the drawing to ( dust from the inside is now on the bottom ) . Fold the fabric from the outside in the same way to each other .

Step 09
Fold the fabric from the inside to the outside of the fabric . Pin and sew . Cut off the excess fabric flat along the stitching.

Step 10
The front and sides are now seamlessly.

Step 11
Place the triangles with the ugly / wrong sides together as you see in the first picture. Pin them to the top of the cottage cheese fixed .
With sew you must make sure that you get to the seam presser foot lift and the house is about to get . Corners nicely
Cut off the excess fabric flat along the stitching.

Step 12
Once the cottage cheese through the opening where the rats get in and out and your house is ready for use .
Would you also will put in the top and bottom seamlessly ? Look at the tutorial example, the cube how to do this.

Offline justjameo

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »
i was just on that site, looking at it, but oh my goodness youre a life saver! :angel4: i was trying to figure out how to translate the entire page without using google translate (im lazy lol) and was getting so frustrated when i couldnt figure it out! you rock, girl! ;D
that'll probably be the first one i make. i have the super pet multi level cage, and the levels are solid so i cant hang from underneath there(or maybe i can with some modification :idea1: ) , so theres LOTS of corner space available and needs to be filled with soft stuff for my babies
======

Offline justjameo

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
i have another quick question and dont think its necessary to make a new thread.
i have a store bought hammock in my boys cage. its about 12x10" but they dont use it. i think theyre scared because its soft and moves and unsteady. they love their space pod but i think thats because its a hard bottom and doesnt wobble when they move.

because theyre babies they could be scared? or will they just never like hammocks? ill probably end up sewing cardboard bottoms to hold it a bit steadier for them.
======

Offline Ratilda

• Rittles and Bittles
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »
Space pods, for some unknown reason, are like nirvana for rats.  They love them so very much.

Rats love hammocks, but not to the extreme as they love space pods.  However, rats also love variety.  So, don't give up on the hammocks.  Once the newness wears off the space pod, they will be sprawling in the hammocks.

You may want to hang the hammocks just a couple of inches off the floor to make it really easy for them to get into them.
Rats: Carl, Daryl, Walternate, Peter, Philip, Stan, Butters, Smudge
http://rittlesandbittles.blogspot.com/

Offline justjameo

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »

You may want to hang the hammocks just a couple of inches off the floor to make it really easy for them to get into them.

I'll try that! thank you :D
======

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
to make this:

would i just measure the top and bottom triangle, then the sides, and just sew it up like the regular cube??

all ive ever really sewn before was ripped shirts, jeans, and purses. nothing at all as fancy as these. i have my work cut out for me

I am actually in the process of adding this one to the tutorial PDF. I took pictures for it, then decided I didn't like the way I did one thing, so I am taking new pictures to start again. It is the same as a Cube, except that I attach the ribbon loops when sewing the side pieces, rather than when sewing the roof. I use six ribbon loops - two on the right side, two on the left, and two in the back. I don't usually put a loop on the top front center like the one in the picture, but it would be easy enough to put one there.

The trickiest part is attaching the roof and floor, because the left and right angles are 45 degrees, which is pretty acute for sewing. I found it works best to start sewing at the back corner, which is 90 degrees, so when you start and end the seam, it is the same as sewing a cube. If I started in one of the acute angles, I sometimes end up not closing the seam completely at that start corner, and have to re-sew to close it completely. If I start at the right angle, everything works out correctly.

The dimensions I use are the following:

Top and bottom triangles: Right triangles with the left and right sides 11" and the hypotenuse (long edge opposite the right angle) 15 1/2"
Front: Rectangle 7" x 15 1/2"
Left and Right Sides: Rectangle: 7" x 11"

I use these dimensions because they seem to work well for me with the Critter Nation when you insert small lanyard hooks in the ribbon loops - there aren't as many vertical bars on the Critter Nation, so I have to make sure it reaches the appropriate bar without being too tight or too loose. If you use a different cage, then you have more sizing options available.

ETA: Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! I am glad it is helpful!

Offline justjameo

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »
thank you so much, thats awesome!
your tutorials are great and very thorough. i was going through them today deciding what im gonna make my boys. im so excited to start sewing  :hyper:
======

Offline BlueSkyGirl12

• One rat... Two rats... Three rats... Okay, whew!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
i was just on that site, looking at it, but oh my goodness youre a life saver! :angel4: i was trying to figure out how to translate the entire page without using google translate (im lazy lol) and was getting so frustrated when i couldnt figure it out! you rock, girl! ;D
that'll probably be the first one i make. i have the super pet multi level cage, and the levels are solid so i cant hang from underneath there(or maybe i can with some modification :idea1: ) , so theres LOTS of corner space available and needs to be filled with soft stuff for my babies
If you're using Google Chrome as your browser and you go to a site in a different language, a banner will appear on the top of the screen and ask you if you want it to translate the page
Mommy/jungle gym to Missy, Poppy, and Jojo

Offline justjameo

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
i thought so too, but for some reason it refuses to pop up on that site for me. i even tweaked with the setting and set a mandatory pop up for sites in dutch but nope, still in dutch lol. oh well  :dontknow:
======

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 05:52:18 AM »
i thought so too, but for some reason it refuses to pop up on that site for me. i even tweaked with the setting and set a mandatory pop up for sites in dutch but nope, still in dutch lol. oh well  :dontknow:

Same here :P

Offline littlewolf

• Animals heal a soul faster than anything else
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 01:15:41 PM »
all you have to do in google chrome(and all other googles as far as i know)is right click and choose translate page.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »
A random aside, but since it was mentioned... "Kaashuisje" literally translates as "cheese house" from Dutch.  I'm sure the designer called it that because of the cheese-wedge shape and Swiss-cheese entrance hole, nothing to do with cottage cheese.

(My Dutch isn't great, but I can try to interject if Google Translate is making other things difficult to interpret.)

Offline justjameo

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »
all you have to do in google chrome(and all other googles as far as i know)is right click and choose translate page.

yeah, i did that and it didnt work. so i just ctrl a the page and pasted in the box. for some reason it refused to translate the actual webpage--for me at least. My bfs an IT tech and we tried all the tricks and nothing worked. but i figured it all out by pasting. thanks though!
======