Author Topic: Might be getting a ferret  (Read 5102 times)

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Might be getting a ferret
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »
I reference Ferrets for Dummies and the American Ferret Association Facebook Group. It's definitely important to be aware that things change a lot in the ferret world, especially medically.  :thumbsup2:

Offline melcab

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
Are there a lot of raw feeders on the AFA  group, mutewolf?

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
Yup! Unfortunately, the AFA group can be a little...dramatic so someone who's wanting to start out feeding raw is generally referred to one of the more expierenced members and mentored, just like on the Holistic Forum.

Offline melcab

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »
LOL dramatic. Can't see how it can get dramatic from raw feeder to raw feeder, but I'll take your word for it lol.

Offline thenightgoddess

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »
I am planning on keeping him but I might get him a friend at some point so thanks for letting me know about the rescue. Is it ok to introduce two males together that are older?

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
LOL dramatic. Can't see how it can get dramatic from raw feeder to raw feeder, but I'll take your word for it lol.

Ooo, not raw to raw but raw to kibble. There have been some gross debates between kibble and raw feeders.

And yes, you should be able to introduce them fine after making sure they are both healthy. I think ferrets are okay with a 2 week quarantine. A seperate air space isn't as cruical with ferrets, just a different room. Then do slow introductions. I've only had one intro be "mean"  and that was between my older male and a new female. She pulled some of his fur out once and then they were fine after that.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:08:02 PM by mutewolf »

Offline melcab

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 11:18:53 PM »
Speaking of separate airspaces, be careful when and if you get the flu. Ferrets can catch it from you and it is NOT a good time for them. I have heard some cold viruses can be transmitted, too, so I try to limit my contact whenever I am sick.

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
I second, or third, or whatever HolisticFerret. BUT, be aware that it is a raw fed/whole prey site, so they probably wont be very supportive of your kibble diet. I didn't know they were and posted asking about what food to buy, they were all like uhh a raw diet? Duh. I felt pretty silly. BUT, you can feed kibble. However its no where as good for them as a raw diet is. Honestly I am all for raw diets (the boyfriend isn't though that's why he doesn't want me to get one) Take a loot at this thread if you haven't already.

http://holisticferret60.proboards.com/thread/871/before-after-raw-diet

its hard to see the difference in some, but in others its almost scary
My wonderful son: Vincent Jacob
Rats: Timon, Kuzco, Dante and Taz
My beautiful puppies: Charlie and Danger
RIP: Vergil <3 Mommy Misses You
Always in my heart: Snickers, Tootsie, Coriander, and Little Jimmy,