Author Topic: Cat Towers  (Read 1578 times)

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Cat Towers
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »
I know this is a little bit of a long shot since cat towers are so varied, but I was hoping someone would have some kind of an idea where to look. I'm getting frustrated with Petsmart's selections of cat towers and the nearest PetCo is 30 minutes away from me.

My cat is around 17lbs right now so I need something that handle his size and weight. I'd like to have something that has natural wood or rope on it either instead of or alongside carpet. My other issue is I need something that has levels fairly far apart, if only towards the top. I would like the tree to be as much of a cat space as possible and avoid the ferrets climbing all on it. Of course, we'll do some diversion training with the ferrets as best we can.

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
Re: Cat Towers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »
Have you considered putting something together yourself? That way you could customize it to suit your needs and the style you have in mind. I really like My Cat From Hell and Jackson Galaxy's website has tons of neat ideas for making cat spaces (I keep looking at ideas for when I finally have a house). This tower looks like it would be pretty easy to make (cheap, too!) or you could just put up shelves from Home Depot, which is even easier (if you're just looking to give him climbing space and not scratching posts).

Offline elkedoring

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »
If you're not up for making it yourself, I have had GREAT experiences with Petco's online store. I got my cat tower plus my rat supplies from there (I live in a teeny tiny town...my nearest petsmart or petco is 3 hours away). Usually with a more pricey order (such as when buying a cat tower, cage etc) shipping is free and I almost always get my order within three days.

Offline Meijhen

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »
Many of the cat trees that I've found at PetSmart & PetCo I have also found on Overstock.com for FAR less.

Also, if you put up shelves, you can wrap them with jute to make them a scratching option as well.  Search "catification" on Google or Pinterest for some really excellent options!  I think Jackson Galaxy's website, which GhostMouse mentioned, has a whole series on catification as well.

Offline Kitsudere

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »
I always go to Amazon.com for buys like that. If you watch it enough, you might find a good deal.
Or ebay, or craigslist.

Because honestly, since you can make them yourself, I feel most cat trees are too pricey.

Offline Whaturmuva

• http://simplyhomemade.org/
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:34:09 AM »
Have you thought of making your own? They don't take very long and you have the ability to craft it yourself. Not every expensive either to make.

Homemade Cat Tower

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
I ended up buying one from a locally owned shop. Pricey, but worth it for me.

If I was in a house, I could have made my own, but I lack the tools and space in a small 1 bedroom apartment to build a tower. In the future, I probably will.

Offline xokendra

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 06:05:21 PM »
I second Amazon.com, I've given up on the local pet stores to find the good stuff :)

Offline WeepingDalek

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »
Since Angel is blind and Dalek has limited sight, we did the wall shelves.  They are stair stepped around and Dalek leads Angel by his chirr sound.  In the areas with dark walls, the shelves are spray painted in Rustoleum Universal Titanium Silver.  Lighter walls are the same line in Dark Steel.  They're a bit sparkly fabulous, but Dalek sees them this way.  The rat shelves are close to the wall color and Dalek has no clue those exist.

I also added some LED low light strips to the edges so he can see better in dark.