Author Topic: Help identifying a wild animal!  (Read 1907 times)

Offline alisonia333

• Posts Too Much!
  • Teddy and Ranger's Mom
Help identifying a wild animal!
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »
So this is just a question out of curiosity, because a coworker showed me this picture of a trapped "rat" in her son's apartment. Evidently her son had been hearing something in the walls for about a month and bought a large cage designed to trap intruders (one where you put food in as bait, they enter the cage and some contraption just traps them in there). He told his mom it was definitely a rat and only took one picture before releasing the animal back out into the wild. This animal looks huge to me, though my coworker did not know the dimensions of the cage he used. The coloring is also not agouti like the wild rats I've seen. It appears to be two toned, with a white belly and tan coat. I am just wondering if any wild/exotic animal experts have any guesses based on this one, terrible picture. I wish I had more, but I don't, and I was curious.

Him or her hanging off the top of the cage.

I just cropped the original image and enlarged it and messed with the contrast a little to see him better. I know it's a lousy image.

Any guesses?

Offline arianaburns

Re: Help identifying a wild animal!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
It kind of looks like a opossum.. but a very strangely colored one!
1.0 husband (Nick)~1.0 boxer (Jackyl)~0.1 shih tzu (Maggie)~0.1 chi/minpin (Lola)

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
  • Never judge from the outside.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »
I thought possum like creature too, but It seems like its face is much too wide... Whatever it is, it's adorable!

I believe some wild rats have white bellies, but I'm not sure. We don't get much wild rats where I live.
~Alyssa

Offline alisonia333

• Posts Too Much!
  • Teddy and Ranger's Mom
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
Alyssa, I think you're right about the wild rats. I just did a google image search and I did see some pics where the brown rats had lighter colored bellies.

I also thought it might be an opossum, because of this pic I found of them and thought the coloring looked right:

I wish I had a clearer pic, just for curiosity's sake. It looks so big to be a rat, but I guess wild rats can be pretty huge, if those guys in the NYC sewers are any indication! They released this guy out in the woods near a lake, so hopefully he'll survive the winter.  Thanks for the guesses!

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:16:14 PM »
He looks like a young opossum to my eye, especially if he's using a standard size trap (one a cat can fit in). I had a baby one get stuck in my recycling bin (they were right next to a set of stairs and I think he fell off). They're awfully funny looking!

Offline alisonia333

• Posts Too Much!
  • Teddy and Ranger's Mom
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »
I agree, they are strange looking little buggers!

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
I think that actually is a rat.  The paws really look right to me (opossum hind feet are unusual, they have opposable thumbs!).  It's on the larger side, but not unusually so, especially if it's a male.  Agouti can be pretty variable, but that color looks fine for a photo with flash, and it's normal for an agouti self to be much lighter on the belly.

Actually, he reminds me of a boy I used to have, Gunther.  The personality might be right too, he was such a hellion that I almost thought he was a wildling.

Offline alisonia333

• Posts Too Much!
  • Teddy and Ranger's Mom
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »
Well if it was a rat, I do hope he finds a warm enough place to spend the rest of the winter, I'd hate to think he didn't make it-wild or not. Thanks for the info bit bit!

Offline arianaburns

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 08:56:01 AM »
Definitely an interesting creature. Whatever it is i hope it does ok!
1.0 husband (Nick)~1.0 boxer (Jackyl)~0.1 shih tzu (Maggie)~0.1 chi/minpin (Lola)