Author Topic: C and C cages? For guinea pigs:)  (Read 7733 times)

Offline TinyToesAndTailsRescue

C and C cages? For guinea pigs:)
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »
Okay so first off I don't have a guinea pig. I have a rat and ferret rescue, But my small animal management class has a class pet. It broke my heart the first time i saw him in his tiny cage all alone:( I couldn't stand it, so I have started buying him fruits, toys and chews. After extensive research I decided to mention my concerns about his cage and other things to the new teacher.We found a 3ft by 6ft C and C cage.
So I have left over fleece, litter boxes and PVC pipes for him from my rescue.

It would be awesome if everyone would post photos of there cage setup ideas :laugh: and DIY toys, beds ect. The school only pays for so much. Any ideas help:)  :heart:

I'm going to go buy him more stuff as well:) The poor little guy needs to be spoiled!!!

That's his old cage:( Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:52:43 AM by TinyToesAndTailsRescue »
Tiny Toes and Tails Rat And Ferret Rescue<3 est. 2013
Rats:Sheldon, Otis, Annabelle, Anastasia, Ju-Ju Bee, Penelope
And Sophia the ferret! Rip: klaus the ferret<\3
Dogs:Zena (Great Dane) Paxsun (rat terrier)
And Squirt the turtle!

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: C and C cages? For guinea pigs:)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:30:47 PM »
Take a look through The Cozy Cavy's Facebook page. She has some beautifully decorated C&C cages that I admire.

I've only babysitted guinea pigs and he was kept in a dreadfully small cage so I don't know much about C&C cages unfortunately. Good luck with him!

Also, I see there's a run around ball in the bucket there. I worry about that a little bit since those have typically proven to be very dangerous to an animal's health. Overheating, exhaustion, being kicked, etc. It's much safer for the animal to just have supervised out of the cage time than to bother with those things. I only have one for my rats because I hang it in the cage for them to sleep in!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »
Yes I came across that when researching. I know there not good rats or ferrets, i figured they would be bad for guinea pigs as well. I already let the teacher know about the dangers of the ball. And i hang a ball up for my rats too:) They love to stash there food inside it :) Thank you for the link:)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:22:58 PM by TinyToesAndTailsRescue »
And Squirt the turtle!

Offline Azusanga

• Master of babies
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
Oh, hohohoho, what would you like to know? I have done WAY too much research on these things..

Mine had a 7x4 cage, with fleece bedding. Timothy Hay bales (actual bales) are cheaper than those tiny little bags from the pet store, and you can store hay in those large rubbermaid containers to prevent them from getting stale or wet.

He should have a friend... assuming he's actually a male. If you can send me a clear enough pic of his bits, I can give you an ID on his sex. They're social creatures, like rats, and tend to have herds that are quite large (I've seen herds of 15+ from other owners). Two is just fine. Introductions aren't very fun, since they take a while, but they're important to do.

Oxbow pellets (Essentials) are great for them, one of the best on the market, with Kleenmama's being a close second/first, depending on who you ask. They need daily Vitamin C, which OB has tablets for. They don't have a flavor and many won't take them plain, so crushing them with a mortar and pestle into a fine powder and sprinkling them on a vegetable is a great way to guarantee that the requirements for the pig are being met.

For toys... crumpled up paper, plastic spoons, balls with bells inside, and cardboard tubes are all popular. A toilet paper tube with a piece of broccoli or pepper inside, with a little tiny hole (pencil sized at most) so that the pig can smell it, with paper towel stuffed in the ends so it has to work for the yummies... that was the most popular toy I ever found. They would squeal in frustration and excitement while tossing it around.
Males:
Sparta, Spice, Titan

Spice is Titan's daddy.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
Oh thank you:) I Tried some of your ideas. Are snack shacks safe for them? If I watch for mold? Or is that not a good idea still?

This is what I have bought him so far:) Is everything in there safe and set up right? I'm Getting him one more water bottle and the teacher is hoping to adopt him a friend!:)

But she's a little worried, we were told that he is very aggressive towards other males. We have a quarantine cage and other supplies ready if we do find him a friend. 

Ill take a photo of him today in class and post it! I'm very sure he is a boy based on the diagrams I looked at, but it's always best to be safe:)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:22:13 PM by TinyToesAndTailsRescue »
And Squirt the turtle!

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
Regarding a friend, see if there is a guinea pig specific rescue in your area. They should be able to help pair your pig with a good potential friend. A spayed female might be a good option here, rather than another male. The rescue should also be able to help you with the intro process.

Excellent job on his cage! It looks a million times better! :)

I would personally skip the snack shack. There are lots of preservatives in them and there are definitely better options of treats out there (fresh fruits & veggies for one!)

Offline Azusanga

• Master of babies
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:59 AM »
Beautiful. Love it, it's a zillion times better. He likely didn't have a good introduction, which can really give off the "bad with everyone" vibe. I've had easier times introducing dogs, cats, and rats than guineas.

How old is he? What kind of pellets is he getting?
Males:
Sparta, Spice, Titan

Spice is Titan's daddy.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:54:19 AM »
Mutewolf:
 Thank you! I found some rescues in the austin area. The local shelters I volunteer at have not had a guinea pig in a while. Im located in college station so thats 2-3 hour drive. I will offer to help pay for the gas so she will hopefully consider the idea. He needs a friend:)

Azusanga:
The school has had him for a close to 2 years. One of the former students said she "found him wandering around in her front yard." I don't believe her. She kept him in a small fish tank for a awhile then gave him to the school. I believe he's has cataracts. one eye is very cloudy:( My teacher didn't even know what cataracts are. So I'm guessing he's older???

His eyes:(

And they tend to switch his foods a lot. I recommended getting oxbow since that's brand I feed my rats but she hasn't bought any yet.
And Squirt the turtle!

Offline Azusanga

• Master of babies
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »
Poor baby. But as long as he has one well functioning eye he should be fine. Just try not to approach him from that side.
Another possible food is Kleenmamas, usually abbreviated to KM's in forums.
http://www.kmshayloft.com/hay/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=39c281609c8e26ba4cc28034bc3304f0
Here's the link to their pellets. Make sure to get the timothy-hay based ones, since he's over 6 months old and not pregnant or nursing. Ha. $26 might seem steep, but it is for 10 lbs of pellets, which will last him quite a while. They also have $36 for 25 lbs of pellets. Make sure to get the ones that come in buckets, since it will help protect the C and keep it fresh.

I would recommend against the Snak Shak as well. It's alfalfa based, which is not good for a pig of his age.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:40:19 AM by Azusanga »
Males:
Sparta, Spice, Titan

Spice is Titan's daddy.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »

Sorry it took so long:(
And Squirt the turtle!

Offline Azusanga

• Master of babies
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »
Yep yep, that's a boy. That makes finding companions easier.
Males:
Sparta, Spice, Titan

Spice is Titan's daddy.