Author Topic: Should I get a ferret?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline EclipseLover1

• Pet Rat: Latte.
Should I get a ferret?
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »
Recently one of my rats died. I am left with one and i don't want him on his own. I really think having a ferret would be cool but my parents are worried about the smell. I was also wondering if the ferrets and rats get along because i don't want to go through the rat circle again because they're so sensitive. I was wondering if you guys could answer some of my questions.
First one, i was wondering if they are easy to care for. Do they get sick a lot? Second, i want to make sure i have time for a ferret. i swim four to five days a week for one and a half hours. them i got hw and all of that. It takes a while. So how much time should i spend with a ferret? How many times should i clean their cage? Last but not least, the smell. I hear it is really really bad. i was wondering how bad it really is or if it is possible to reduce the smell or potentially get rid of it. Can i get some help with this?
I love my rat eclipse!
R.I.P-
Eclipse
Digger
Mocha
Racer

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Should I get a ferret?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
do you mean to live together?   Rats are prey to ferrets.

Offline EclipseLover1

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
But i've heard that some of them get along.
I love my rat eclipse!
R.I.P-
Eclipse
Digger
Mocha
Racer

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
It's as much of a risk as putting a cat or dog with a rat. I would never do it and will never advise anyone to do it. All it takes is a second and the rat is dead or the ferret has a nasty gash.

Honestly, it doesn't sound a ferret wouldn't fit in your life. They, like rats, do best in pairs. They need large roomy cages (ferret nations are great) and need to be fed high quality kibble. I have 4 ferrets and regularly spend $80 a month on their kibble. Ferrets are also milled animals and, like rats, tend to have poor genetics and are prone to a lot of cancers and other diseases as they get older. Vaccinations/titers are also very important and are yearly and can grow costly. My ferrets need 1-2 hours of out time every day and I give them 3-4 hours, or more, on the weekends. Cleaning needs to be done thoroughly once a week but we try and do straightening up twice a week or so.

The other concern is that ferrets can live 5-10 years. Are your parents willing to take on the responsibility of a ferret/ferrets when/if you go to college?

Offline EclipseLover1

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:47:54 PM »
I think I would try to take the ferrets with me. I'm saving money right now for extra needs during college. Are the ferrets as sensitive as the rats though?
I love my rat eclipse!
R.I.P-
Eclipse
Digger
Mocha
Racer

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »
Most colleges require you live a year or 2 in the dorms and dorms rarely allow pets.

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
  • Never judge from the outside.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
I think I would try to take the ferrets with me. I'm saving money right now for extra needs during college. Are the ferrets as sensitive as the rats though?
I would call them "sensitive". They get blockages very easy($$$), are basically prone to getting adrenal disease, or some type of cancer or once they hit 4 or 5 years(upwards of $1,000 or $2,000), and need vaccinations every year($100), and some people recomend a heartworm pill ($200 or so for a year)
~Alyssa

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
I agree with RatNook. Maintaining my business of ferrets is extremely expensive and I've been extremely lucky to not have any major bills yet.

Offline EclipseLover1

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »
Okay, thank you.
I love my rat eclipse!
R.I.P-
Eclipse
Digger
Mocha
Racer