Author Topic: Multiple Cat household Litter and odor issues please help  (Read 1857 times)

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
Multiple Cat household Litter and odor issues please help
« on: March 17, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »
Okay some of you may know that i do rescue work. I now have 7 cats inside. Im having issues with litterbox odor. I scoop after anybody uses the litter box and take the trash immediately outside. I use litter deodorizer, i completely change out the litter everyday. I have like 10 litterboxes in the house. Does anybody have any suggestions to how i can keep the smell out?  All my guys are spayed and neutered so there is not any marking going on.
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Multiple Cat household Litter and odor issues please help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:47:24 PM »
Have you tried World's Best Cat Litter?  It is initially more spendy, but it does an AWESOME job at odor control.  It clumps well, and you can go a long time with just adding fresh, rather than having to change the entire box.

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:01:25 PM »
The litter im using is normally Arm and hammer multi cat clumping. I will try that one, can it be bought in a grocery store or is it only found in certain places?
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 10:56:17 PM »
The litter im using is normally Arm and hammer multi cat clumping. I will try that one, can it be bought in a grocery store or is it only found in certain places?

I've only found it in pet stores, but all the major chains seem to carry it.

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »
okay thank you.
Are there any types of food that will make their pottying less smelly?

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:18:41 AM »
okay thank you.
Are there any types of food that will make their pottying less smelly?

I generally find that the less grains there are, the less smelly the poop.  Again, it means paying out more up front, but you see the benefits in feeding less, and having less smelly litter boxes.

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »
When i had only the three adult cats, i fed Evolve, but when the 4 rescued kitties were added i couldnt afford to feed evolve to them so i usually get an indoor formula for everybody, that comes in the big bag. I may just start getting evolve again if i can find it in the big bag, but for the small 3lb bag i was paying like 9.99 i think lol so i could imagine what a big bag is gonna be.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »
When i had only the three adult cats, i fed Evolve, but when the 4 rescued kitties were added i couldnt afford to feed evolve to them so i usually get an indoor formula for everybody, that comes in the big bag. I may just start getting evolve again if i can find it in the big bag, but for the small 3lb bag i was paying like 9.99 i think lol so i could imagine what a big bag is gonna be.

You may have to find a happy medium.  Taste of the Wild is a good grain free that's not uber expensive.  Wellness Core is also pretty good.  They both come in larger bags, which is a plus, because yeah, those little bags are ridiculously expensive.

Offline Meijhen

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »
Taste of the Wild was a good option for us.  Also, make sure they are getting at least some wet food - I've found with my 3 that a complete wet food diet = smelly stool, but no wet food = strong urine.  A combo of wet & dry seems to work best.
I only have the 3 cats, but the litter box they use most is literally right beside my work desk, so I *know* when they are going LOL