Author Topic: Collar issues  (Read 1623 times)

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
Collar issues
« on: April 12, 2014, 07:40:30 PM »
My S is having a problem with his collar.  His old collar was a small Kong, but was rubbing him raw so on the advice of the vet I moved him to a medium Kong.  The issue is back.  It's not any where near as bad.  He is not raw, but it is removing the hair from his neck with three fingers clearance.  The newest suggestion was a padded Kong.  Will this help?  Or would leather be better?  The vet says he has sensitive skin.  F is not having any of the same issues and she also wears a Kong just in a different color.  I can also fit three fingers in her collar.

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Collar issues
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:35:48 PM »
I would try the padded maybe. Not entirely sue here though. My dogs collar bothers him sometimes but we just take it off. He has no doggie door so he only goes in and out when we let him.we take his collars off at night (one is an underground fence collar so it can be annoying to lay with) and let him be free of it until morning. We make sure everyone in the house is aware its off and put it by the door. Is this an option? If the dog has sensitive skin I think it would be a great relief to be without it for the night, or maybe a few hours a day.
My wonderful son: Vincent Jacob
Rats: Timon, Kuzco, Dante and Taz
My beautiful puppies: Charlie and Danger
RIP: Vergil <3 Mommy Misses You
Always in my heart: Snickers, Tootsie, Coriander, and Little Jimmy,

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Going without a collar is not an option.  I don't want to risk him ever getting out without his collar and tags.  I've returned two dogs to their owners because they had tags.  They were indoor dogs and through a mishap they got out while their owner was at work.  He's also really, really used to wearing a collar.  Both dogs have worn a collar 24/7 since they were 4 weeks old.  They only take them off to bathe.  They are so used to them that as soon as they get out of the shower on bath day they start jumping at the counter where I put their collars.  They don't like being collarless.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:44:12 AM »
We have had issues with this with Diver in the past.. We tried a few different collars and had the same exact problem. We loosened it up. It was loose to begin- I could get two/three fingers under it but now it's loose to the point that it can come right over his head.. No more hair lose and no more raw skin. He is just overly sensitive to it and like you, I will not let him go without his collar and tags because he can be a bit of an escape artist.

When we go out for walks or out of the yard we tighten it up so he can't get himself out of it and just loosen it up again when we get home.  I like using leather better, but right now he's got a cloth one on.. I am not sure of the brand or anything.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:03:03 AM »
What about using a soft rolled or braided leather

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:23:30 AM »
https://www.etsy.com/listing/156122527/leather-dog-collar-with-personalized?ref=shop_home_feat_3

I found these collars.  I'm just not sure if it's having something on his neck, or if it's a reaction to the nylon.

@dragonfly it's good to know my boy isn't the only one.