Author Topic: Cat with urinary issues  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Whaturmuva

• http://simplyhomemade.org/
Cat with urinary issues
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:57:22 PM »
I have a cat who suffered from a blockage. The vet recommended putting him on the Hills Prescription diet. After months of that he wasn't looking so well, and after some research I found that the Prescription diet works by filling the cat with sodium which artificially inflates thirst to help keep the urethra clear of obstacles.

Once I read that I went with an alternative which is watered down wet food. His coat is looking much nicer and he seems much more active and happy since switching a few months back. No more urinary issues, happy kitty, and a huge savings in my pocket.

Just a heads up that "prescription" food may not be all its cracked up to be.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Cat with urinary issues
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
More correctly, Hills Science Diet isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be.  This is why doing your own research is important.  Many vets only get very basic nutrition training, and quite frequently, any after school training is sponsored by the manufacturers of foods, which is a bit of a conflict of interest. 

I'm glad you've found something that works for your cat.  :)

Offline Ratacular

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »
My family had two cats with the same kind of blockage, one died and one survived after getting surgery and switching his diet. He got it from his dry food, and they offered another kind of dry food that was supposed to help. My dad didn't take it and decided to make his own food for him made out of raw turkey with added vitamins and now he is as healthy as can be!

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:18:53 PM »
Marybelle, my 11 year old daughter wants to be a wildlife veterinarian. How does one avoid such perfunctory training?
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
I'm not 100% certain, but I think you'd have to make it a point to learn more, either while in school, or in professional development later.

(also, welcome back!!  Woo!)

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:33:24 PM »
That's what I figured. Alas. At least she's a motivated kid so I have no doubt she'll continue with the learnin'. ;)
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org