Author Topic: HELP! Sudden cat balding??!  (Read 1761 times)

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
HELP! Sudden cat balding??!
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
So I woke up this morning, took a shower, and as usual our cat was sitting outside the door meowing. He stays outside most of the time and only comes in for some petting or to tell us he needs more food in his bowl outside. I let him in, pet him a bit and then noticed a spot in his fur looked really thin and like it was starting to bald. Here's what I saw first.

THEN i brushed back the fur in that spot to get a better look and here's what I saw next:

HOLY CRAP! That's one big bald spot! There's literally like NO hair left in that area aside form a few stray little ones poking out. He looks like a Sphinx right there, I mean seriously! There's no wounds at all, I don't see any of this anywhere else on his body. Nothing. No scabs or anything that I think you would see with lice or mites (like with rats). Could this be a bacterial skin infection or something? I am going to be talking to my mom about it when she gets home. We just got our income tax return so if there is a vet visit in order we can schedule it. :( i just have no idea what is going on. I told my dad this morning "Hey uh, did you know our cat has a bald spot?" He said mhm, but wasn't even really paying attention to what I said and when I showed him the spot he snapped out of his game and was like whoa wtf? also he seems ot be in no pain in the area, i touched it and he pretty much ignored me. So that's a good sign, right?
My wonderful son: Vincent Jacob
Rats: Timon, Kuzco, Dante and Taz
My beautiful puppies: Charlie and Danger
RIP: Vergil <3 Mommy Misses You
Always in my heart: Snickers, Tootsie, Coriander, and Little Jimmy,

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: HELP! Sudden cat balding??!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:53:47 AM »
You really should have it looked at to make sure it isnt mange although mange usually looks a little red-. Mange is ugly to get rid of. It could be that the cat is rubbing on something trying to get into someplace small but it shows up gradually. Failing thyroid can cause it. Over grooming from stress is also possible but its usually somewhere they can reach easily. If it hasnt done it before its unlikely in an older cat. Fleas leave debris and usually dont cause balding.

Doesnt it suck that when you already have crap ton to deal with the animals have some issue.

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »
Yes it really does suck. URGH! I am pretty sure hes a young cat, only a few years old. So I dunno. I just worry :/

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 12:33:31 PM »
Can you look around the property and see if you can find cat hair on anything. It will stick to anything that scrapes/rubs it off. I start around the house because its usually warmer. The shape really looks like it was scraped off. Does it go down his spine?

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »
Its kind of off to the side of his spine. I would go look all around the property but he doesn't only stay here plus its like 5 acres and a bunch of different out building my landlords have here and a ton of old junk so if he is scraping it off somewhere i may never figure it out   :doh: I will go look around in his most usual places though