Author Topic: Old Kitty  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Kitsudere

Old Kitty
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »
Hello.

My mother-in-law found an elderly cat outside, and he became a permanent resident indoors with her. However, lately he has been acting different. He is less active, much less vocal (usually quite loud), seems kind of stiff, and loses balance sometimes. He is eating a little less, and he seems to have no teeth on his lower jaw. He was already missing quite a few when she got him, though. His lower jaw also seems to have some swelling or something on the gums - he wouldn't let me get a very good look, but his mouth is just a tad bit open all the time now.

I'm just wondering what this might be? I wasn't sure what to tell her about it. I figured he may have injured his mouth somehow, but I told her to perhaps just take him into the clinic since I'm not a vet.

This is him, Freddy:

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Old Kitty
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »
Sounds like a mixture of age and possibly arthritis setting in, to me.

Is she offering wet, easy to eat foods? He might also have issues with his jaw, maybe an abscess or something like that.

Offline Kitsudere

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
I do believe he has arthritis. He finds it hard to get comfortable, and walks around stiffly when he first gets up.

I picked up a bunch of wet food for him last night.
I noticed that he wasn't really chewing the dry food; he would swallow it whole, then throw it up.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:13:13 PM »
Poor kitty.  :-\

I missed the part where you said his jaw was slightly open now. I'd be worried about bone issues or something like that but I'm an extreme worrier! A vet visit is probably best

Offline Kitsudere

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »
Yeah, it looks kinda swollen. It wasn't like that when she got him, but I can't see anything on him.
I'll have to find the best vet for cats around here. The one local vet I was going to isn't very good.. They told me one of my girls, Rin, was going to be fine, and she passed away three days later.

At least he seems to be eating fine. He came up to me and meowed a whole bunch, and started licking up the wet food I gave him right away!

I feel really bad for him. I think the people who moved away left him behind, because we never saw him outside until after they moved out of the house across the road in the winter. But it's really sad, because you can tell he was an indoor cat. He's the friendliest, and even when he's outside soaking up some sun with us, he goes inside to use the litter box instead.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:03:36 PM »
Poor boy.  :(  If his jaw is swollen, he definitely needs a vet, for sure.  It's good that he can still eat canned food, though.  :)

Thank your MIL for taking him in.  Not everyone would do that.  :)

Offline Kitsudere

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:49:05 AM »
I know, she's a really nice lady, and she loves cats. ^^
She also took a little girl kitten, Bella, too. Fortunately, Freddy got fixed so there wouldn't be any oops litters.

Then Mila came along. She's the calico in my signature, and I decided to take her with me, because she's crazy - which is my favorite kind of cat. She was outside too, and had fleas and worms, and you could tell she'd had a litter at one point. Very friendly though.

As for Freddy, he's going to the vet tomorrow, so wish him luck.
However, his mouth is looking a little better today anyhow. :3 He even cleaned himself, which he hasn't done lately.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »
Glad to hear he's doing a little better today! I hope the jaw mystery can be solved at the vet tomorrow!

Offline Kitsudere

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
Thanks!
He's everyone's favorite cat, so they're all a little over-worried.

(Personally I think he'll be fine - he has a stinky mouth, so I'm thinking maybe an infection/irritation.)

Not sure what else I can do for his stiffness besides keeping him warm, though. :c