Author Topic: Cat randomly attacks me  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Washi

• Tiny Raven
Cat randomly attacks me
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:31:54 AM »
So, I know this is probably play aggression (we just moved to a new place and have been busy with unpacking and haven't been able to give her as much attention as she needs), but every so often I'll be sitting and working and my cat will run up and bit me on the arm and then run away.

I've tried to get her to stop this - I shout at her ("Ouch!") or lock her in a small room when she attacks - but she hasn't seemed to get the message.

The bites don't puncture skin, but they do hurt a bit, and I want her to learn that biting is inappropriate. I assume the answer is "Play with her more" but I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

The Menagerie

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Cat randomly attacks me
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
It could be play aggression, or it could be a stress/fear reaction from the move.  For now, I'd try to redirect her with play when she does it, and work on making sure she has a place that is "hers" and totally safe from any interference to re-build her confidence after the move.  :)

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
Re: Cat randomly attacks me
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
You know those poles with yarn attached to them with a toy at the end? You can either buy or make one of those and get her chasing that around.

I wouldn't isolate her anymore since that probably ups her stress level. Just do the ow and a light bop on the head and be consistent about it. She'll learn. That's what we did with Kittyrat when he would try to play with my one year old daughter (oh so many moons ago) as if she were a kitten. It totally worked.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org