Author Topic: Elderly kitty worrying me...  (Read 1477 times)

Offline aem3055

Elderly kitty worrying me...
« on: May 17, 2014, 05:39:20 PM »
I have a VERY old kitty named Cheta... 20-22 years old (at LEAST). We've had her for the last 14 years. In the past year she has gone deaf, and gotten stiffer in her movement. She has been going downhill quickly over the last few weeks. She has dropped weight over the last few years, but just in the last week has become skin and bones. She lurches when trying to get up. She gets extremely stressed over routinely yearly vet visits... to the point that our vet said we should keep her home unless there's an emergency that we need to bring her in for.

She is not crying, and dose not seem to be in pain... if I saw those markers I would know it was time to take her in. She is sleeping a lot, and curling up with me on the couch.

This is going to sound weird, but she had always had eye gunk ("sleepers") but in the past few days they have started smelling gross... like an unclean litter box... like one that hasn't been scooped in weeks. Her breath is the same. Is this a sign of some sort? Does anyone have experience like this with a cat toward the end of life? I have 3 children, and if the end is near, I'd like to prepare them... but don't want to set them up prematurely. She has lived so long at this point, that the thought of her not being here is unfathomable.

Advice?
Amy M... Momma to 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat & 5 rats

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Elderly kitty worrying me...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »

This sounds like kidney failure.  http://www.felinecrf.com/what0.htm  (halitosis, bad breath- ammonia)

When the kidneys are not cleaning out the blood, the waste builds up in her body.  Bacteria in the mouth can use the urea (waste) and turn it into ammonia (smelly smell of pee).  Normally, urea waste is cleaned out and kept low enough that you wouldn't smell it in the cat's mouth (or eye boogers).  It sounds like things have started to build up. 

You should call the vet and ask the vet about what to do.  You can decrease some of the symptoms of renal failure at home with subq fluid therapy.  Basically you give them extra fluid to help flush the waste out of their body.  They may want to see her or just give you supplies to do home care- just talk with the vet about what would be best for Cheta.

Good luck  :-\

Offline aem3055

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »
Thank you. Despite respite measures, Cheta passed late last night with her humans around her. We're sad, but know she's no longer in pain, and that she had a happy, full life and was loved very very much. Rest easy, tuna-breath.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »
I'm sorry.  :(  She had a good long life with you, and I know she'll be missed. 

Offline aem3055

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
Thanks, Marybelle. She did, and she is. :(

I feel a little guilty, but I called all the kids in "sick" from school today. They needed a day to grieve, and I liked having them here. We will go on, and we will continue to love our furry ones, but it's so hard when they leave!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »
Thanks, Marybelle. She did, and she is. :(

I feel a little guilty, but I called all the kids in "sick" from school today. They needed a day to grieve, and I liked having them here. We will go on, and we will continue to love our furry ones, but it's so hard when they leave!

Don't feel guilty.  They need that time way more than they need a day in the classroom.  Good for you.  :)