Author Topic: Notes from a Dog Groomer  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Cortney

• Posts Too Much!
Notes from a Dog Groomer
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »
I am a dog groomer, and I just wanted to say a few things after working so closely with dogs for the last seven years. The purpose of this list is just awareness, and I hope somewhere can take away something positive from this.

1. If you have a dog, look at him or her right now. Do they need their nails trimmed? Please trim their nails if needed, or go somewhere to get it done. They will be happier, and healthier. Long nails can lead to arthritis, and their paw bones can become twisted if left too long.
2. Does your dog have long hair? Check if it is matted. Mats are no fun, and if they get too bad, it can be quite painful.
3. One thing most people forget is that their dog can get teeth problems! Hey, it happened to me, too. Before I worked with dogs, I didn't know you were supposed to brush their teeth. If they look pretty yucky, your vet can clean them, kind of like when we go to the dentist for cleaning. I had a customer several years ago who lost her poor dachshund because the teeth were infected, and it spread to the heart.
4. Ears are also forgotten too often. I have uncovered many ear infections over the years.
5. I get lots of customers who let their pets go too long without grooming and they get embarrassed so they wait even longer to bring them in. Yes, Fluffy may be matted now, but it is a fresh start! A clean slate is given, and just keep them on a schedule.
6. When it gets cold outside, your dog still needs grooming! All groomers offer a partial groom, which includes a nail trim, ear cleaning, trim feet and paw pads, sanitary clip where they potty, and a face clean up. I see a lot of dogs in the spring with mats between toes, big eye gunkies, and urine/feces burns.
7. In the last few years, the amount of overweight dogs has increased. Owners may not notice because they see their pet everyday and think it is normal, but when they come in for a clean up, we can tell the wear and tear it has on their bodies. A cheaper, healthier, and just as tasty alternative to treats is raw carrots! They clean the dog's teeth and are low calorie, so give as many as you want. (My dog is given only carrots as treats now, and we save a ton of money. He loves them and doesn't know the difference!)

Thank you for reading everyone. Dogs hold a place near to my heart. Grooming isn't just about looking pretty, but keeping your pet healthy and happy. Groomers get to see every inch of your dog, and so can be a first line of defense against diseases, parasites, and injuries. If anyone has any questions about grooming, they can message me or post it here. Knowledge is power! Have a wonderful day!

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Notes from a Dog Groomer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »
Hi Cortney!

Our last pup was 19 when we had to have him PTS.  However, I was taking him to the groomer on a regular basis to keep him cleaned and healthy.  But one day when we went in, I was told they would not groom him anymore because he was too old.  They were afraid he would have a heart attack and die on their table.  I even offered to sign a waiver releasing them from his death!  I knew he was old, but they still would not give him a groom.  Is that usual if a dog is old, to not want to groom him due to his age?  I left there that day, went out and got my own set of clippers and would groom him in our backyard.  That wasn't easy, he liked to sit down!

Offline LittleSparrow

• Stitches and Scritches
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:41:29 PM »
Thank you for this. :) Though I am not a dog groomer, it is still useful information every dog owner should always keep in mind!
( Custom hammocks and no hang beds )
http://www.stitchesandscritches.com

Fur babies: Spunky, Rizzo, Harlie, Daisy, Sterling, Wilbur, Otter, Pod ♥

Offline Cortney

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
Hi Cortney!

Our last pup was 19 when we had to have him PTS.  However, I was taking him to the groomer on a regular basis to keep him cleaned and healthy.  But one day when we went in, I was told they would not groom him anymore because he was too old.  They were afraid he would have a heart attack and die on their table.  I even offered to sign a waiver releasing them from his death!  I knew he was old, but they still would not give him a groom.  Is that usual if a dog is old, to not want to groom him due to his age?  I left there that day, went out and got my own set of clippers and would groom him in our backyard.  That wasn't easy, he liked to sit down!

Hey, I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. It is normal to turn away old dogs in some salons that are not equipped to handle it. At my old job, we would recommend clients with older dogs to find a veterinarian that offered grooming as well, so if something happened there would be a vet available to help. Look at it as they were keeping your pet's best interest in mind. Congratulations on having him live to 19 though! You must have treated him very well to live to such an old age.  :)

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:02:56 PM »
Hi Cortney!

Hey, I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. It is normal to turn away old dogs in some salons that are not equipped to handle it. At my old job, we would recommend clients with older dogs to find a veterinarian that offered grooming as well, so if something happened there would be a vet available to help. Look at it as they were keeping your pet's best interest in mind. Congratulations on having him live to 19 though! You must have treated him very well to live to such an old age.  :)

It's ok about the time of answering!  I don't come to Dog Tails very often.  When we adopted Paddy, he was already 5 years old.  We adopted him from the RSPCA when we lived in Australia.  Paddy went on vacations with us, and moved with us from Australia to Idaho, then to Georgia.

Ok, I guess I can understand why the groomers would not want to work on an older animal.  But it was not easy grooming him by myself.  He always wanted to sit down!  :D

Offline Cortney

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
Hi Cortney!

It's ok about the time of answering!  I don't come to Dog Tails very often.  When we adopted Paddy, he was already 5 years old.  We adopted him from the RSPCA when we lived in Australia.  Paddy went on vacations with us, and moved with us from Australia to Idaho, then to Georgia.

Ok, I guess I can understand why the groomers would not want to work on an older animal.  But it was not easy grooming him by myself.  He always wanted to sit down!  :D

Aww, how sweet! That is great you took him with you from another country! What kind of dog was he?