Author Topic: Sansa and Cinder visit Key West!  (Read 1037 times)

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
Sansa and Cinder visit Key West!
« on: June 29, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »
We just got back from our honeymoon in Key West, and of course we took the puppies with us. We all had so much fun, here are some pictures of what the dogs got up to while in the Keys.

It was a 14 hour drive for us, which is a long time to be in the car. The dogs had to be creative about getting comfortable.

We stayed in a 2-story town-home at a bed & breakfast. We didn't realize what a challenge the spiral staircase would be until we got there. Sansa spent the whole trip on the first floor after two unsuccessful tries to master the stairs on the first night. She seemed to approach them the same way she gets in the car, like she could take them all at once. When one single jump/flair onto the first two steps didn't get her all the way to the top, she got confused and gave up.

Cinder, on the other hand, was determined to be near us at all times and after watching us carry bags up to the bedroom a few times, cautiously made his way up. Once up, however, he realized he would have to come down, and also that he was scared of heights. Fortunately, I had my clicker with me and after clicking him for touching the top step, then the second step, and so on (and using the very high-value reward of chicken jerky that we got in the summer swap), he got the idea about halfway down and ran down the rest of the way. I praised him for coming down the stairs and he immediately turned around and ran back up, and then back down again, and then repeated this a few more times, like he was so proud of himself and his new trick of navigating stairs!

We were able to take the dogs to an aquarium, but neither of them wanted to get close enough to the water to look in. We almost took them on a dog friendly boat ride/kayak trip, but after walking them along the docks once on our first day and seeing how reluctant they were to even approach the edge of the dock to look over, we decided to let them relax in the hotel instead. Here's Sansa being brave and peeking at some fish at the aquarium. You can see she's not exactly thrilled about it.

And here they are relaxing by the pool, just outside our town-home. (The leashes are short enough that they could not have gotten into the pool even if they had wanted to. They were never left unsupervised like this.)

Cooling off at one of the many dog-friendly restaurants.

I'm at the picture limit, more in the next post!

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
Re: Sansa and Cinder visit Key West!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
Cinder loves cuddles, but sometimes he's super awkward about it.

On the drive home, we stopped by the Dolphin Research Center, which is also dog friendly. I think the dolphins liked looking at the dogs more than the dogs liked looking at the dolphins.

Sleepy puppies on the ride home.

Key West itself doesn't have great beaches, and the one beach that allows dogs is terrible. It was tiny and at this time of year, covered in dead sea grass. So we only visited the beach on our way home. There's a dog-friendly beach on a different Key called Anne's Beach, and it was beautiful. The dogs had a blast.

It was low tide, but I found a spot just deep enough for Cinder to doggy paddle.

Happy dogs post-beach.

We took these with a GoPro, which can take 10 pictures in a second, resulting in some awesome sequences of the dogs playing. They work best if you think of them as a flip-book, so I'm linking them in an album so you can flip through (and also because I've already stretched the picture limit in this post, whoops).  http://imgur.com/a/2Hme2#0

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Sansa and Cinder visit Key West!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »
Too cute!