Author Topic: Diver vs Woodchuck...  (Read 957 times)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
Diver vs Woodchuck...
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »
So Diver and woodchuck got into it today.... I don't know how the woodchuck made out but Diver is kind of beat up a bit- several bites to the mouth and jowls and a possible bite to the leg. Nothing to crazy but holy bleeding in the mouth. Nothing is an emergency and I will call the vet in the AM but is there anything I should watch out for between now and then, particularly concerning infection and the like?

He's up to date on his shots and whatnot so that's a plus- are they going to want to do boosters and such? Our vet fund has been pretty much drained because of financial issues so I am just trying to figure out about how much the visit tomorrow is going to cost us. I am expecting antibiotics, but what else do you all think they are gonna want to do?
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
Re: Diver vs Woodchuck...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:04:13 PM »
I would just make sure you clean it really well tonight. If he's UTD on shots, they probably won't redo them. They might shave around the area to see how bad the wounds are. If they're deep, the vet might put in drains so they don't abscess. I would expect antibiotics, and possibly pain meds.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 02:02:41 AM »
I think this is a few hours old now, so hopefully you got it figured out.

A good cleaning is the best thing for it.  I wouldn't apply any ointments or medications prior to taking him to the vet as long as he's not acting like he's in pain.  Even if you left the wound dirty, signs of infection would take longer than overnight to be apparent.

I would definitely expect antibiotics from the vet.  A wound near the mouth is one of the hardest to keep clean, so they'll be a precaution against infection.  I've heard of dogs getting a rabies booster after fighting a wild animal, and other cases where they don't, so I guess that's up to the vet's discretion.

I don't know how strong your relationship with your vet is, but if you mention that you're in financial hard times, they may be able to offer less expensive treatment options, knock a few things off the bill, or set up a payment plan.  Hopefully a clean-up and round of ABs is all he needs, though, and that shouldn't be too expensive.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:28:43 AM »
How's he doing today?

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 07:17:15 AM »
He's doing well, the vet knows our situation and basically walked me through flushing the bites out, checking for infection, and pain management, over the phone and he's now on a 4 week at home quarantine as a precaution. He just had his shots and boosters in February so she said we can hold off on doing anything with that for a bit.

Thanks for asking though!
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.