Author Topic: Millersville MD Extreme situation  (Read 3510 times)

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
Millersville MD Extreme situation
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
I am with Dakota's Dream animal rescue in Virginia.  Back in June, we were contacted by an individual who said her females escaped and mated with her males producing many rats.  She sounded like a BYB because of her descriptions and wording. 
Hello, My females escaped their homes and all got pregnant with my males. I am desperate need to adopt out these rats. Any help you can give is greatly needed.
  There are 40 females and 43 males.
10 males are just weaned dumbo ratlets, and 16 are female dumbo ratlets.
24 female adult dumbo's
12 regular adult females
21 dumbo adult males
14 regular adult males
9 naked dumbo adult males
6 naked dumbo adult females
2 naked adult males
All adult rats are under 1 year old.
All rats have been hand raised and all are extremely sweet and very well adjusted to human contact.
The haired rats vary in colors from hooded tan and hooded black and also vary in colors and markings from white, tan, black, blonde, gray. Most are very unusual markings and very gorgeous. All are healthy and all my rats live beyond the three year expectancy.
Thank you so very much for your help.

This individual emailed every rescue in Maryland and VA as well as breeders.  Her numbers were extremely high, and we offered to take some of the rats but cannot take them all as we are a small rescue.  She agreed to bring us about 15 rats, but dropped the ball and never made arrangements.

Although the escape happened months ago, there are newborn litters.  They have no space to move.  Many are infested with lice. They are giving the rats away and not selling them from what I understand.  I am hoping to get help to remove these rats, but we cannot do it alone.  I have reached out to Butters Rat Rescue and we are sharing posts on Facebook.  Dakota's Dream can still take in some rats.  We have two empty large cages momentarily, but cannot realistically take them all.  I am asking for help.  When Animal Control gets involved the rats may be in danger and from what I understand they are all relatively sweet and social.

http://rodent.rescueme.org/maryland

Above is the link to their advertisement, if anyone can reach out and take any of these poor babies it would help tremendously.  I am also open to organizing a group to go in and take them all at once if we can get enough people to take them all. I am open to any ideas.  Most east coast rescues are full or no longer taking rats right now.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:03:07 PM by Marybelle »

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
Re: Millersville MD Extreme situation
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »
Please be advised that the individual with these rats is the same person who's dumped multiple 40-80+ "batches" of babies and young adults on the local Animal Control over the past few years. These hoarders are fortunate enough to live in a county where Animal Control has "rat people" and a vet experienced with spaying/neutering small animals, but they continue to flood our area with rats periodically and have refused offers of free sterilization for the ones they do keep.

That being said, I currently have some nearly 2-year-old girls from one of their prior dumpings that I got as babies (and I've owned rats from even earlier dumps who have since passed on) and they're utterly beautiful, lovely girls.

Anyone who adopts rats in this area should know that there's an excellent low-cost spay/neuter clinic called Animal Birth Control in Millersville. Their rates are $55/rat, male or female, and the vet is awesome.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:26:31 PM by The Jenn »
Current are Alexander, Vanellope, Taffyta
R.I.P. Ondo, Jeremy, Iggy, Dai, Doze, Julie, Audrey, Stitch, Johanna, Lucy, Alphonse, Miriam, April, Monty

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:55:35 PM »
Thank you so much for the information, I didn't realize this person was a "repeat offender". I could tell by the original email that they were probably a BYB.  But why do they keep doing this?  If we clear out the rats this time.... will they continue?  I hate people like this because when a rescue tries to clean up their mess we are forced to turn so many other rats needing help away.

Is there any way we can permanently stop them?

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
I've given Animal Control their information, which is where I received confirmation that this was indeed the same person we've been dealing with on and off for close to four years now. I'm not sure what they'll be able to do, if anything, but I'll definitely keep everyone posted.
Current are Alexander, Vanellope, Taffyta
R.I.P. Ondo, Jeremy, Iggy, Dai, Doze, Julie, Audrey, Stitch, Johanna, Lucy, Alphonse, Miriam, April, Monty

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:09:28 AM »
Thank you!  I feel this needs to end soon.  I have open communication with the hoarder at the moment and I'm wondering how and when to approach the subject of her irresponsibility.  I do not want to compromise the rats we are trying to save at the moment.  I do want to let her know this is it, we will not help her again.  If she breeds again she is on her own.  If possible, I would like to leave her with all same sex rats if we leave her with any. 

Offline LizWegeman

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:32:58 AM »
I would love to adopt one or two of the younger dumbos, I currently have two females with enough cage space for another and an extra cage that I could keep males in. Hoping to hear back from you, thanks.

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »
Liz,

You can adopt directly from the person by responding to their ad http://rodent.rescueme.org/maryland

If you would rather adopt through us, we require an application and adoption fee.  Dakotas.dream@hotmail.com

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:35:17 PM »
***Update***

Dakota's Dream pulled 7 rats today with the help of Small Angels.

The rats are beautiful, 2 hairless boys, 3 dumbo boys, 1 top ear boy, 1 top ear girl.  All pretty markings... Im trying to figure out how to upload my photos since photobucket isn't cooperating.

There are still many rats (100 or more) that need help.  The cages are as clean as can be considering the rats are crammed in like sardines.  The owner was educated on using Aspen instead of cedar.  We hope to pull more as soon as we adopt some out.  The rats that came in today are healthy and well mannered.  They are not aggressive, and seem socialized.

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 08:46:59 PM »
Happy

Piney

Jax

Clay

Tig

Lyla

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:58:55 PM by gullideth »

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:10:53 AM »
**update***

All six males have been adopted.

Today is a big day!  Teresa with Small Angels in MD is pulling all of the females from this house!  She is getting help from the local shelter, and they will take 10 of the females.

I will be taking 10 more males today, and Dakota's Dream will pull what is left after the 11th of August.

I'm so excited that we are getting everyone out!

Please contact Dakotas.dream@hotmail.com to donate or request an application for adoption
Also contact Small Angels to donate or request an application for adoption

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 01:40:35 PM »
If you could Fedex one of those naked dumbo males to CT...

Offline Evander

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »
Hi! I would be very interested in taking 2 or 3 girls - preferably hairless - but I am in RI.

Any chance of a ratty train?

Thank you for what you do!!!
Smile!! It's contagious!!

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »
I can do part of a rat train, I'm in central CT and would love a naked dumbo boy, then I could get the girls over to RI.

Any chance some folks could get them from MD to NYC area?

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 05:12:21 PM »
I'll let her know you guys have posted here, they were pulling all of the females (47+ a litter of 11) today to go to Small Angels and another shelter and getting them situated, along with some more male intakes for Dakota's Dream.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline Evander

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »
I can do part of a rat train, I'm in central CT and would love a naked dumbo boy, then I could get the girls over to RI.

Any chance some folks could get them from MD to NYC area?

I could travel into Ct and over to Ma if there is any interest.

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 06:35:35 PM »
I just want to say I am emotionally and physically spent.  I have been doing rat rescue for a while and have never seen something this bad.

47 girls were pulled by Small Angels today, and 10 more males by Dakota's Dream.  10 girls went to a shelter near the hoarder who spayed them.  7/10 girls were pregnant during the spay.  At that rate, the other 37 plus the one I have may be pregnant.  Small Angels is attempting to get all 37 spayed ASAP before more unwanted litters are born and the situation gets extremely bad.  Please donate to them if you can.
This news is so upsetting, as the person in Millersville swore all these rats were an accident.  I can understand one mishap, but this is just mental illness + laziness + irresponsibility.  Several nursing babies were also pulled (11) all different ages.  The rest of the babies were probably eaten.

From the 10 boys I received today, they were coated in urine and mite scabs.  They smelled like death and are all underweight.  One poor boy has a huge gash with a hanging flap of skin that is very infected.  He is scheduled for surgery Monday.

IF YOU CAN DONATE FOR SURGERY it would be Fantastic!!!!  We really need the help.  The little Siamese has a strange mass on his chest I need to get checked out, and we have more boys to pull in a week that will certainly need medical attention.  IF you can spare anything for vet bills please call Animal Medical Center and make a donation to Dakota's Dream account. Please share.

Phone number (540) 868-1001   

I got all the boys home and bathed them, treated for mites, and settled into cages.  The poor boy with the gash was sweet enough to let me wash it out, put ointment in the wound, and take antibiotics without too much trouble.
I haven't named everyone yet, but here are some photos. We have two more naked dumbos, some furred dumbos, and a few top ears.

I am so disgusted and upset with this person, words cannot even describe my anger and sadness.

The baby of the group

The boy with the neck wound

Clean and Happy

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
Oh, and my favorite little man!  He is a cutie!

Siamese with strange lump

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 09:05:20 PM »
Just PM'ed you about setting up a rat train to New England for this hoarder rescue.  Hopefully we can get a few homes lined up in this neck of the woods!

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »
Considering it's related, I just wanted to throw add the link to the thread I started over in Rat Tails to this, Small Angels has the females.  There are also links to pics of the ladies over there, photobucket wasn't playing nice:

http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php?topic=4105703.0

Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »
We have set up a page for both recuse on Facebook, Please like and share!  We will be posting updates and photos.

https://www.facebook.com/Millersvillerats/info

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 08:42:22 AM »
As of this morning we only had 20.00 called in to the vet, If you can spare anything.... two boys were dropped off this morning.  Opie has a mass on his chest and Smokey has a neck wound.

Animal Medical Center can be reached at

Phone number (540) 868-1001   

Any tiny bit helps.  :puppy_dog_eyes:

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »
Smokey and Opine are good to go!  Opie has a deformed sternum, and it is not a tumor!  He is cleared for adoption!
Smokey had his throat ripped open but the antibiotics and wound care have provided him with the miracle of full recovery!

We have noticed two of the males have been a bit aggressive so we are also raising money for neuters to help these boys calm down and find a good home.  Our vet charges 75.00 for neuter of rats. 

Smokey and Opie on their way to the vet, both sweet boys!

Smokey

Little Lyla is the only girl with Dakota's Dream, she was one of the first 7 rats pulled from the home.  Lyla is on the left, she is currently sharing a cage with a rat in hospice.

Opine, Smokey, and Lila are now available for adoption.

Offline Evander

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 02:21:53 PM »
Great news for Smokey & Opie!!!!!

Offline Evander

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 02:22:19 PM »
So sorry I am unable to donate at this time I have been out of work due to an injury.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:23:53 PM by Evander »

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
Update:  Smokey and Opie were adopted together today!!!!!

The remaining 36 males were pulled from Millersville with the help of Teresa from Small Angels.

I am completely overwhelmed but glad we could save them.  I have never seen so many rats in such dire conditions. Today, after picking them up, a friend helped me wash and treat for mites.
We have issues with Head tilt, a possible tumor, HED, mites, one with a severe URI, and abscesses. 
Most are healthy and available for adoption. 6 will need medical treatment, possibly two will need to be humanely euthanized.

We have some interesting markings, several hairless, and one Odd-Eye. 5 of the boys are very young.  The remaining are six months to one year old.

We are desperate to find fosters and adopters for this crew.  Our rescue usually houses only 10-15 rats at a time and we are well beyond capacity.

IF you are interested in adopting or helping please email Dakotas.dream@hotmail.com.

Odd Eyed Boy