Author Topic: Question About Grain Free Dog Food  (Read 1581 times)

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
Question About Grain Free Dog Food
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
I know dog food discussions can be controversial. I am only thinking about switching right now, and still want to do more research. I know that I don't want to do a raw or home made diet (mostly for time reasons, but partially for cost), so am trying to check into my options for commercially available foods.

My dog is 12 years old and diabetic. She has been diabetic for almost two years. Before the diabetes, she was healthy. Never had any problems. Since she was diagnosed with diabetes, she's had skin infections, ear infections, eye infections, a bleeding ulcer, and a 4 month long UTI. I've switched her food to something without wheat, corn, or soy to be better for her stomach. I've added supplements to help her skin and joints, others to prevent UTIs, and I now regularly clean her ears. She gets artificial tears in her eyes. All of the infections (she currently has an eye infection) have made it hard for me to get good control of her diabetes. I am considering switching her food again, and was wondering if a grain free food might somehow help reduce the amount of infections she gets. Has anyone had any experience switching to grain free for similar reasons?

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Question About Grain Free Dog Food
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:50:32 AM »
I decided that trying the grain free couldn't hurt, and while I'm at it, could switch proteins too. I think I've settled on Taste of the Wild Southwest Canyon as the one I'm switching to. I don't think her wet food needs to be completely switched. The flavor she seems to do best on doesn't have any grains or chicken. I might still try some of the TOTW stews just for a bit of variety though.

Offline Cortney

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
Taste of the Wild is a good food, my dog is on it as well. What brand is her wet food? In the dog food world, you get what you pay for, most definitely. Now that she has been on it for a month, have you noticed any differences? Something a lot of people discount is treats. The cheap treats have bad ingredients as well so keep an eye on those too.  ;D

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
I was feeding her 4Health wet food, but decided to go ahead and switch everything over to TOTW. I have noticed a difference, mainly in her coat so far, but she also got a UTI right as I was starting the switch and is still being treated for it.

I'm also questioning whether or not I should still add probiotics to her food. We ran out of the ones I give her when I had some shipping problems with the supplier (they're not available locally, and the kinds that are make her BG spike). She was out for most of the food switch and had no problems at all. I finally got them in again about two weeks ago, and ever since I can hear her stomach a lot more. I was going to wait until we're sure the UTI is all clear, then experiment with removing them, and see if things get better.

Her treats are all high quality. Since she is diabetic, she can't have a lot anyway. I mostly stick to different types of jerky (made in USA, only meat), but she also get pieces of Orijen senior as a BG test treat (one kibble before & one after), and I've also found the Plato EOS treats don't seem to affect her BG.