Author Topic: Hair loss but not itchy??  (Read 1616 times)

Offline MizBiscuit

Hair loss but not itchy??
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »
Hello! We have a Pitt mix, Terra, that has lost a good bit of hair on her sides. It's on both sides but the patch on her right is a good bit larger. She also has NO hair on her stomach around the spay scar and back, although she has a constant looks like it might be growing in shadow, it just never does grow. We've been to two vets so far (three if you count the two different vets in the one office) and have done skin scrapes and thyroid tests, which all came back negative (had hookworm but all other yearly tests came back negative too, and the hookworm was treated). We've been on Benadryl and two months ago switched to Claritin. The Claritin stopped the sneezing that Benadryl didn't and we had a small bit of hair regrowth at the start of each but not enough to cover the bald spots or really make a difference. They said that they could do an allergy panel but it was on the expensive side and didn't really give conclusive answers anyway so it wasn't really recommended. She is on a grain free everything diet for her stomach already and there have been a few brand changes so neither us nor the vet thought it was food related. All the vets have given me the 'it doesn't seem to bother her so don't worry about it' line.

I am thinking of trying yet another vet but I don't know if I should. We've had her a year and half now and she had all her hair when we got her from the foster family. I'm worried it's something I'm doing (or not doing). I think what's making me nervous is that she was fine through last summer and winter and now we can't get any regrowth. The foster family only had her a month and said she had some allergies but didn't know of anything else that would cause this. Before them she was in a prison training program in KY where they had found her on the streets so we don't have a very clear history. We are in south central PA so maybe it's just weather differences from her home state of KY?

Sorry for the wall-o-text but I am trying to get all the information out there to you. Google is failing me as everything I'm reading about either includes itching (something she has never done, even before the Benadryl) or is symmetric patterns. Any ideas of what it might be would be appreciated while I try and figure if I want to try another vet...
"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
~C.S. Lewis

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Hair loss but not itchy??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:13:21 PM »
Is she licking herself a lot in those places?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MizBiscuit

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
No, she down't really lick at all. She licks her stomach a little but no more than what I would consider normal and it's not rough or purposeful lick, more like I'm bored and this is something to do kind of lick. If that makes sense. She can't really get to the spots on her side to lick.

If it helps to know the spots are the length of her torso (starts right behind her shoulder and stops right before her hip) on the right side; the left is about half that size but pretty centered between her hip and shoulder joints. And thinking about it both are pretty centered vertically as well, between her spine and belly. I will try to grab a picture tonight.

My husband is of the opinion that it just takes time to grow back and I need to relax.  :worry:
"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
~C.S. Lewis

Offline dogsnbears

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »
When did this start/how long has this been going on?

We had two Jack Russell's with seasonal allergies. Their symptoms sound similar although with ours, there was obvious biting and scratching. They would literally scratch and bite their fur off their sides and legs. and their bellies would turn black (maybe from licking). Once a frost hit, they were good until the summer