Author Topic: Older cat vomiting, losing weight.  (Read 5807 times)

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Older cat vomiting, losing weight.
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »
I think the ingredient label on authority might be a little better? I bet he would eat that too if you want to try something else. I havent had a cat that wouldnt eat it. I dont feed it unless Im troubleshooting an appetite issue, they get fat on it because they eat way more than they should.
You can return it if it doesnt work.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »
I've done the Authority brand before, and I think they liked it then, so that may be the way to go.  Slightly better ingredients make me happier, anyway, as long as he'll eat.

I'll be getting the steroid shot from my vet on my way home tonight, and we'll see how it goes!  If he doesn't show marked improvement in the next week, I may have to seriously consider making his final appointment, and I'm not quite ready for that yet, and I don't think he's quite there, either. 

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »
So sorry your kitty is only marginally hanging in there.  :'( I'll keep you in my thoughts.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »
Not eating can make them feel crappy and then it can make them vomit. Have you tried slowing down how fast he eats?

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 12:01:31 AM »
If he were eating more than a few mouthfuls at a time, I might be more concerned about his eating speed...  But it hasn't really been a concern at this point.

I got the Authority food tonight, but I also found these Fancy Feast Appetizers, which are just meats in broth.  They're not a complete meal, because they don't have all the vitamin supplements in them, but he really likes the broth, and the chunks of meat.  As a result, he wasn't as hungry as he otherwise would have been for his normal dinner time, so I'm not sure if that's why he didn't eat all of the Authority food.  Breakfast will tell, I guess.

I got the steroid shot from the vet, so he got that today, as well.  Now we wait and try everything we can think of to get food into him.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »
I hope he eats better and keeps it down. Ive tried those kinds of foods for my cats. I cant remember the brand, it was free from petsmart, but it looked and smelled good enough to eat. My cats licked the gravy and wouldnt touch the veggies or anything else.  ::) My son kidded that we should have had it for dinner instead of wasting it on the cats. lol I dont know how the old people were saving money eating canned cat food. That stuffs expensive.  ;D

Offline ratpax

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
If he'll eat the broth from that wet food, do you think he'd eat the homemade chicken stock, and the meat and bone broth?

It would be much better for him, and help his gut to start healing, if so.

My old dude wouldn't touch that Authority food, been there, tried that.

On a side note, my ratties are quite happy we always have chicken bones around, from cooking for old Mojo.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Rat girls:  Ahmi, Ara, & Juniper

Rat boys:  Kibosh & Kerfuffle

Mouse girls:  Pinta & Silverella

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 10:15:01 PM »
He actually eats the entire appetizer, meat and all, so that's good.  There aren't any veggies in the ones I got, though, just meat and broth.  I got Friskies earlier, and he ate it well, so we'll keep doing that.

I could try cooking for him, but finding time is hard.  I barely cook for me.   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline ratpax

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »
He actually eats the entire appetizer, meat and all, so that's good.  There aren't any veggies in the ones I got, though, just meat and broth.  I got Friskies earlier, and he ate it well, so we'll keep doing that.

I could try cooking for him, but finding time is hard.  I barely cook for me.   :yelcutelaugh:

Oh good lord, no, I don't cook for me, either, hehehe.

The best I manage is sandwiches, a salad, or frozen stuff nuked.

It was a major lifestyle change for me, carving out time to cook for Mojo.

I had to find a system that worked for me--which is tossing the meal in the crockpot, and letting it simmer all day while I do all my stuff, then separating out meat, broth, and bones when it's done, putting in individual cheapo gladware, date it, chuck it in the fridge, and feed each day 'til the next Sunday, rinse and repeat.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 03:05:31 PM »
5 days into the new steroid shot, and he's still throwing up.  Now he's up to at least once a day, and sometimes twice.  So, the steroids have done nothing, as far as I can tell, other than boosting his appetite.  So he eats fine, and some of it goes through, but some of it isn't.  I know the vet mentioned the possibility of gastric motility issues, which is why we've been doing the Reglan and Pepcid, since both help with the motility.  But now it seems like they're not doing much.  Some stuff is moving through, still, but not nearly as much.

Offline ratpax

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
I'm sorry things are poorly with him.  :(

I'll send vibes for your kitty boy.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »
Have you asked your vet for nutrical? 

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »
So sorry, Marybelle. You're usually so busy taking care of all of us it is hard to think of you going through all these issues with your senior kitty...
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 02:30:27 AM »
Poor kitty :'(
I am so sorry. That must be very tough for the both of you. Sending good thoughts :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 08:17:30 AM »
Have you asked your vet for nutrical? 

I have Nutrical, he refuses to eat it.  And now he's doing the thing where he eats a couple bite of his food and walks away.  Then he comes back a few minutes later.  Though I'm sure if it was throwing up most of what I ate, I wouldn't want to keep eating the same things, either... 

No vomit last night.  So that's a step in the right direction, I guess.  At this point, I'm mostly waiting for him to tell me he's had enough.   :'(

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
I went through the same thing. Im sorry you and your fur buddy are having to go through this. Its difficult to say when. One thing comes to mind is all of this has given him pancreatitis. The treatment I used (same thing happened here) was a couple days of IV fluids. It brought his appetite back and we had a few more months. If he is really far gone then it wont help, only prolong the inevitable and make him upset. My vet was no help in helping me to know how far gone he was. I tried sub q fluids again and it ruined my last memories of him. Its like that is all I can remember when I think of him. None of the good times. Guilt I guess, it hasnt been a year yet.

If you dont do that now then basically he is starving to death. If he isnt keeping any fluids down the problems from lack of water happen faster than starving. It tears their kidneys up.  I would give him maybe one or two days of not keeping anything down and make plans to say good bye. After that one or two days its a horrible agonizing thing to witness. You dont want to hear him cry. I went through it because i was blind to knowing when ti was time and I dont want to do that again. If he is miserable its time to go.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
Thankfully, he isn't miserable yet.  A little slower, maybe, but he is keeping some stuff down at this point.  Yesterday morning was the last vomit.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.  It will help me keep in mind what to do as we move forward.  I'm sorry about your kitty.  :(

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 09:29:21 AM »
Today is likely the day, unless something drastic changes. He's turning up his nose at food. Even smelly foods with broth.   I am so not ready for this.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
I am so sorry to hear that. Its difficult but you are doing the right thing.  :heart:

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »
So sorry to hear this. At the risk of being irreverent, this thread reminded me of a cartoon that showed the inside of a cat's head and one mass was labeled, "Hyperactive barf gland."
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 09:07:22 PM »
He's gone.  And my heart is broken. 

And now we wait to see how Isis handles being an only cat.  I'll do a memorial at some point, but not right now...

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 09:24:42 PM »
Im sorry. Its not my cat and I still feel bad.  :'(

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 09:37:29 PM »
Im so sorry Marybelle. :'(
You did everything a good cat mommy would do.

Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline ratpax

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »
I'm very sorry your boy has passed.

I will light the white candle for him.