Author Topic: Marking Question  (Read 1011 times)

Offline mightywhiskers

Marking Question
« on: November 05, 2014, 01:21:00 AM »
So my cat Max as lovable as he is has always had this problem where he seems to pee everywhere. He is almost 9 I think but has been doing it his whole life. He is definitely litter trained but is constantly pulling over laundry or pillows to pee on (sometimes even the couch or a couple times on bare tile floor), and if you see him in the process he sometimes seems either surprised that he is peeing, or has a look of shame, so he knows he shouldn't be doing it. We thought it was a marking problem with his brother and the neighbor cats, but they all passed a few years ago and there are no other cats near our house(he is strictly indoor), and since he is alone now he has 3 litter boxes to himself. We asked at the vet and he is medically fine, and we've tried all sorts of things to get him to stop and nothing seems to work. Has anybody else had this kind of problem or know of any ways to help?

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Marking Question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:17:31 AM »
Is he neutered, if so what age was he neutered?

Offline mightywhiskers

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »
He is nutered. He was a rescue originally so i'm not sure how old he was when he got nutered but he was still pretty young because we adopted him and his brother as kittens( prob a few months old).

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:02:17 PM »
Cats that are marking usually pee on vertical surfaces like walls and the sides of furniture they also seek out visitors items to pee on. Cats with bladder crystals or cystitis want to pee on soft surfaces.  The other issue can be the litter box. Ive had to toss litterboxes because for whatever reason they dont like them anymore. I also had one cat that didnt like using the box if there was anything in it even if it was his own. I had to get a litter maid.

I always take my cats to get checked for bladder issues. Cats can have irritated bladders for years without any other symptoms other than peeing out of the box. Every pee out of the cat box cat Ive had has used the box for poo regardless of issue.

If ive been slacking on the cat box I make sure I do a better job. Get a really deep box and fill it with 6" or more of litter (this takes a whole 25lb bag) Having it that deep keeps ammonia from forming on the bottom. Some cats are super sensitive and wont use the box if it even smells a little bit.  I also use liners so the whole thing gets tossed once a week. I have 7 cats and two boxes. If I had only one cat I would only have to dump the whole thing once a month. When you use deep litter it doesnt get nasty so quickly.

The kind of litter can really put a cat off. For whatever reason it only keeps them from peeing in the box which doesnt make sense. I have to use litters with little to no scent. One time I tried scoop away my neighbor gave me and all hell broke loose I had a couple that stopped using the box. And for whatever reason in their little kitty minds peeing right next to the box is not a problem with the smell.  :doh: I use cheap generic littler from aldis or tractor supply. They both clump well.

If its behavioral there are a few things you can try. First you have to buy gallons of simple solution and treat everywhere. If one was marking its possible the other was too. Unfortunately carpet still holds the smell of the other pet and they can smell the neighbors cat outside.

You can try Homeopet anxiety for cats http://www.homeopet.com/feline-anxiety-relief Ive used it, I got it from my vet. It works well but only for about 3 months then they adapt to it. At least you know where the issue comes from. Ive tried prozac and wellbutrin. It worked but for my worst case cat, she had to go live in a no cat household.  She was still a basket case and marking. She did quit peeing on me while I was going to the bathroom.  :eek:  She didnt hate the other cats, she was afraid of them so thats how she defended herself.  If your cat isnt completely neurotic it should help if its behavioral.

On a side note. I have spent hundreds of dollars on feliway and any other brand out there. Its never done a single thing for my crew of cats. It may be different for you.