Author Topic: C&C cage  (Read 1510 times)

Offline notsaying

C&C cage
« on: December 11, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
GIs there anything worng in using whiteboard instead of cloroplast? In a c&c cage.

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
  • Never judge from the outside.
Re: C&C cage
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
I'm not quite sure what white board is, but coroplast (corrugated plastic) is used because it is all plastic, thus waterproof, is sturdy, and comes in big enough sheets to make the base.

If by whiteboard, you mean those foam boards usually sold by the poster board, I would say to not use it. It is essentially a piece of foam with coated paper on it. No plastic. It may seem slippery to you, but when washed enough times, the coating will come off the paper and the base will no longer be waterproof. Also, you will not be able to get this type of board in a big enough piece to make the base without connecting a few.
~Alyssa

Offline notsaying

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
I mean the boards people write on with expo markers.

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »
Hmm. Not sure about that. How would you make a base like how you do with coroplast? You can't really cut it. Plus you would have to get a big one, which could be expensive, unless you already have it. Is there a reason you don't want to use coroplast?
~Alyssa

Offline notsaying

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »
Ok so I was out looking for colorplaste and saw that I get a small sheet like 3' by 2' or for a couple dollars more I cold get this whiteboard which is like 4' by 8'. I'd have to cut it, but I have a saw. I'd also have to deal with bedding being thourgh out. I could and am willing to live with this.

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 06:24:33 PM »
How much was the coroplast and the whiteboard. A 4'x8' piece of coroplast shouldn't be more than $15-$20. If it is over $30, they are ripping you off. The problem with having no sides on the base is that the grid "pen" will slide around the base possibly off the base. The sides sort of hold the wall in place.

Have you called local places to see what the pricing of coroplast is? Personally, I think it would be easier to get coroplast, but you might be able to do the whiteboard if you want to.
~Alyssa

Offline notsaying

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 11:04:34 PM »
3' by 2' piece is $15 . I was planning on putting the walls around the board, not on it it, in hopes that t would keep it in place.

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:46:17 PM »
Oh, I see. Hmm, that's definitely a rip-off. Where did you find this pricing? Have you called local sign shops for prices?
~Alyssa

Offline notsaying

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
Home depot, and I don't know of any.

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
Yeah, homedepot is not the place to get coroplast as far as I have seen. Check if there is a sabic near you, look in the phone book or online for sign shops. Sometimes even fedex has some they can give you. If you post your general location, I might be able to help. Also, you can check on the guinea pig cages website. They have a locator for coroplast and it shows local places to get coroplast.
~Alyssa